This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Screws for Tx red cedar

Looking at McFeely's site and their No-Co-Rode screws, there is a warning about using them with Western red cedar due to the acidity of the wood. Does this also apply to Texas red cedar? Is it also very acidic? If so, what screws do you use for outdoor projects that will be rained on, etc?
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I beleive that holds true for all cedar. Stainless steel screws and nails are what are called for.
    Wayne
    Wayne J

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Yep. A few years ago I had a small cedar fence built by a landscaper (I was busy with some other work, and my wife did not want to wait). Despite asking for stainless he used the coated screws. It took less than a year for long ugly dark streaks to appear under the screws. I replaced all screws with stainless ones, but the damage is done and the streaks are still very noticeable.

Comment

• MilDoc

McFeely's site says even stainless can be a problem but I guess it's the best choice. These are pretty soft metal, right? Need to drill pilots for them?

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Just the opposite. Stainless steel would be harder. Yoe should'nt have to drill holes unless the wood splits.
          Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The heads like to round over though when driving the screws, at least that was my experience.

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

What about the green deck screws? I can't remember if they are OK for cedar, but I know they are recommended for treated lumber decking.
              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

I just used a bunch of stainless hardware in some easten white cedar, went right in with no pre-drilling. I also used some of the tan deckmate screws in a project last year, and no staining so far. The packaging makes it seems like they should be good for the cedar. The only place I've found deckmate is HD, and the selection of sizes varies. Of course, this was mostly white cedar, with a little western red thrown in when I ran out, so the Texas variety could be a bit different.

Jim

Comment

• offthemark
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Germantown, TN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I built a cedar table for my dad last year. I used the tan Deckmate screws that say they work for pressure treated and cedar. No runs yet. They go in easy.
                  Mark
                  --------
                  "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

Working...