Drawer Slides or Something Else

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • 2638
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

    #1

    Drawer Slides or Something Else

    I'm building a shop cabinet with several 12" high by 22 inch wide vertical panels to hold saw blades, wrenches and other stuff that can hang on pegs rather than being thrown in drawers. I want these panels to slide in and out easily. Waxed wooden runners would probably work fine as long as the panels aren't too heavy, but I'm also wondering if I can use European drawer slides since the weight will be parallel to the axis of the rollers instead of being perpendicular. The panels plus all the tools that hang from them should not weigh more than about 20 pounds.

    Any thoughts on whether drawer slides would work, or should I just keep it simple and use runners?
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 1001
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

    #2
    Drawer Slides

    This sounds like a great idea; probably would work well in my garage/shop.

    I have used the type of drawer slides that go on the bottom of the drawer (rather than the side). I got them at the local Lowe's store and have seen them in Home Depot. They seem to work fine and should handle the weight well. You would need to use some kind of a runner at the top to keep the slides from tipping over (but I am sure you already thought of that).

    Regards, SN

    Comment

    • mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • 1130
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

      #3
      I think I would go with the drawer slides, but on the top of the panel rather than the bottom.

      I'm not sure about using wooden runners...just doesn't seem like it would be very smooth. You would want it to be smooth, otherwise the items you have hanging on the panel would be swinging all over the place as you try to slide it out.

      Let me know how it works out. It sounds like a great idea that I might want to incorporate into my shop.
      Mike

      Drywall screws are not wood screws

      Comment

      • Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • 1914
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

        #4
        what about some wooden "doughnuts" on bolts insttear of the wooden slides. They would glide nicely, and are a lot cheaper than slides.

        So you would have rollers on the bottom, and then the panels would be set in dados in the top.
        Alex

        Comment

        • jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • 2638
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          "what about some wooden "doughnuts" on bolts insttear of the wooden slides. "

          That's an idea I had not considered. A couple of small teflon wheels would also work.

          Someone here ta saw blade rack for his mobile base that slides in and out the same way. I can't remember whether he used drawer slides, a pocket door slide, or something else.

          Comment

          • bigsteel15
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 1079
            • Edmonton, AB
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            Originally posted by jackellis

            Someone here ta saw blade rack for his mobile base that slides in and out the same way. I can't remember whether he used drawer slides, a pocket door slide, or something else.
            I think it might be Tom Miller you're referring to in a recent post.
            I am basically doing that with drawer slides on the bottom of an 8" wide opening that I will put 2 angled panels into for blades. I'm already doubting myself though.
            Brian

            Welcome to the school of life
            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

            Comment

            Working...