Screws or glue?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Screws or glue?

    This weekend I will be converting some existing shelves to a built in ent. center. Part of the project involves covering an existing brick hearth. This will require firring strips to bring the new wood deck up to level with the existing bottom shelf.

    Question is tapcons or const. adhesive on the firring strips? The adhesive is much quicker and neater but a lot more permanent. I don't anticipate ever wanting the brick hearth back. Should I care about the next person wanting to buy the house in 20yrs?
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 449
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

    #2
    Well, as a guy that has had occasion to wish the last owner did care, I say care.
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

    Comment

    • ted van halen
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006
      • 76

      #3
      Originally posted by wreckwriter
      Well, as a guy that has had occasion to wish the last owner did care, I say care.
      Gotta go w/ WW on this one. I recently used tapcons for the first time & they work very well. DO NOT overtighten them. I've also used liquid a time or ten & have been pleased w/ it. The last time I thought I would never want to go back to "whatever" I regretted it.

      Ted

      Comment

      • poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 3196
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

        #4
        I would always tend towards screws. It also means that should one accidently get something in the wrong place (I have done this before) its just a question of repositioning it and filling the old holes (and swearing a bit too).
        Jon

        Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
        ________________________________

        We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

        Comment

        • crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • 10627
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

          #5
          Yeah. I was thinkin' screws myself. Just hoping someone else would say glue so I could justify traveling down the dark path as it were.
          David

          The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

          Comment

          Working...