• Show
Clear All
  • offthemark
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Germantown, TN, USA.
    • BT3100

Outdoor Cedar Table

My wife has ordered a cedar table for outside. What would be the best way to finish? She is not picky about stain/natural/etc. just whatever would look best. What do I seal it with?
    Mark
    --------
    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

If you are up for a challenge, and some experementing, epoxy might (read: MIGHT) work, but the easiest way would to use marine poly.
    Alex

Comment

• guycox
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Romulak, VA, USA.

I've really good luck with "Outdoor Oil" from Woodcraft.. I just retreated a piece of aromatic cedar that had been out in the weather for over a year. I scuffed it with some 220 grit and put on another a coat --

GENERAL FINISHES Outdoor Oil
      Outdoor Oil is specially formulated for all outdoor wood projects from log homes to decks to furniture. It has twice the oil and resin content of other brands. It contains UV prohibitors, heat stabilizers and mildew prohibitors and is ideal for all exterior weather conditions. It may be used over other brands of exterior oil stain or exterior clear oil finishes for additional protection.
      Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
      What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

Cedar Finish

I just got done refinishing these two western red cedar chairs with red lable penofin.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• parnelli
          • Aug 2004
          • bt3100

I did some patio furniture about 10 years ago, and was surprised at the number of finishes that you couldn't recoat. If I remember, ALL of the water based stain/protectants said you had to sand then finish.

I think I ended up with a PPG/Olympic oil based one.

Comment

• offthemark
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Germantown, TN, USA.
            • BT3100

Thanks for the input guys. I covered the stuff in Olympic Sealer over the weekend. Wife said it looks great so that is all that counts.
            Mark
            --------
            "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

Working...