• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krogers
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Garden City, New York, USA.

Bending/Cutting PVC?

I am attempting to make a pan or scoop for dust collection behind my CMS. I was thinking about opening up a section of PVC lengthwise and creating a U shaped tube that I could glue up under my CMS shelf. Is there a way to bend PVC? Can you heat PVC and get a consistent bend? Will heating PVC just melt it? My other choices might be to form this out of metal, or make a square scoop out of quarter inch ply.
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

You can bend PVC, but you have to heat it to the right temperature. This can be done carefully with a torch. I don't think you are going to be able to get the sides flat for a U shape. If you do this, do it outside. PVC outgases pretty bad when hot enough to bend. I would probably get a lower temp bending plastic sheet and bend it around PVC and then have the flat sides unbent.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• just4funsies
      • Dec 2005
      • Florida.
      • BT3000

How about rigging a piece of aluminum or PVC gutter?
      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by krogers
        I am attempting to make a pan or scoop for dust collection behind my CMS. I was thinking about opening up a section of PVC lengthwise and creating a U shaped tube that I could glue up under my CMS shelf. Is there a way to bend PVC? Can you heat PVC and get a consistent bend? Will heating PVC just melt it? My other choices might be to form this out of metal, or make a square scoop out of quarter inch ply.
        PVC is a "thermoplastic" material (they make pipe by extruding the material) and is therefore reshapable (is that really a word?), using heat. But I'd be somewhat leary of it because, if I'm not mistaken, it contains Chlorine, and I don't know if it will "outgas" when heated. You could check with your local Fire Department to find out if it's toxic when it melts.

You would probably be better off using 18 AWG sheet metal for the body (Aluminum), fastened to 3/4" Plywood end plates with screws. You could then put your "pick-up" in the wooden part and probably get it built a lot quicker.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by gmack5
          PVC is a "thermoplastic" material (they make pipe by extruding the material) and is therefore reshapable (is that really a word?), using heat. But I'd be somewhat leary of it because, if I'm not mistaken, it contains Chlorine, and I don't know if it will "outgas" when heated.
          PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride. It contains chlorine though I have no idea whether chlorine would be released if you heated it. If you do decide to go this route, probably best to work outside where ventilation won't be an issue. Personally, I like the idea of using metal.

Comment

• mleichtle
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

A friend of mine used the grey electrical conduit, filled it with sand, and used a heat gun.
            M. Leichtle
            Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
            Ben Franklin

Comment

• Crash2510
              • Feb 2006
              • North Central Ohio

We have a pvc hot box for bending pvc but you could use a heat gun, blanket or a low torch.
              Chlorine is not really a problem unless the pvc catches on fire probably good to do it where it is ventilated

It is easy to bend, heat it up slowly and evenly so there are not hard spots
              make your bend and hold it in place for a minute to keep its shape
              Phil In Ohio
              The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...