• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Speaking of broken taps

I broke two little taps today I was finally get around to putting the DRO kit on my mini mill. Moral of the story you ask? If in doubt put your reading glasses on to read the size of the tap The two taps I broke were 10-24 and the holes were drilled for 8-32 Oh well, everything worked out in the end and I can get really accurate positioning on all 3 axis now
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I am now a firm beleiver in the spiral gun type taps. I won't buy any other types. You can break these as well, but not as easily and they actually help to line up the threads for a straight tap. I will also only buy HSS taps. No cobalts or other stuff. The cost just doesn't justify the benefit for normal use in steel. Cast iron can be fun to tap anyway. Gladyou got the DRO's on. When I do upgrade my mini mill, it will be with a cnc conversion. Then I have the DRO's on computer monitor.
    Lee

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

You guys are beyond my metal working knowledge. The only good tip I can offer on taps you obviously know - don't run them in forever back them off to break off the chip. I do this every 30 to 60 degrees of rotation. I learned the hard way on some volkswagon heads what not to do. I also use a light lubricant which I think helps. Obviously the right sized hole helps.

I finally broke down and got progressive lenses a couple months ago. I got tired of taking my glasses off all the time to be able to see things close up. I should have done it sooner. LOML doesn't need distance lenses but does need reading glasses. She is still fighting it. Doesn't like the way they look. I do not like getting old but the alternative doesn't seem real attractive either.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Delta Unisaw

It is the close stuff that gets me. Can't seem to make myself see an optometrist either Played hooky today and tore down the carriage and lead screw on my Atlas 618 lathe. Installed new half nuts and straightened the lead screw. Now I don't have to hand feed anymore

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well Jim I have always considered you “Half Nuts” anyway! Now this does beg a question though, how in the world did you bend the lead screw????

Also, basic rule of thumb on taping is a quarter turn then back.

Comment

• ted van halen
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006

I don't want to throw sand in anyone's eyes but I had a full-bore eye exam a couple months ago. To quote the Dr. "I cannot find anything at all to nitpick about your eyes. They are absolutely perfect in every way." Juat thought I'd toss that into the thread. Sorry.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Several years ago caught a woodchip in the eye from a chainsaw. went to the doc, the eye with the scratch was 20/19. Other eye (the lazy one) was 20/16. Doc figured if no scratch the dominant eye was 20/14 or better. Haven't had them tested since but now I figure I am a little closer to 20/20.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by kwgeorge
                Well Jim I have always considered you “Half Nuts” anyway! Now this does beg a question though, how in the world did you bend the lead screw????

Also, basic rule of thumb on taping is a quarter turn then back.
                The lathe came that way. It looked like it had been hit at one end, there were a few dinged threads I had to file a bit on. It didn't take me long to fix it considering I got the lathe in Sept. 2003 and set it up in the fall of 2005

Comment

• Thom2
                  Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
                  It didn't take me long to fix it considering I got the lathe in Sept. 2003 and set it up in the fall of 2005
                  You shootin' for "Overachiever of the Year Award" or sumthin'???
                  If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                  **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

Working...