• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Shadow Box ?

This might be one of those that's hard to describe and even harder to get advice on but I'll give it a shot. A Navy chief friend of mine is getting ready to retire and asked me to make her shadow box. I said "no problem" then she complicated things by saying she wanted it to be the shape of our rating insignia. The rating is - air traffic controller - and the insignia is a winged microphone if that makes any sense to anyone that hasn't been around the Navy. I just about said I couldn't do it then thought what the heck. My thinking is to make it out of 3 one inch laminations of contrasting wood as the main body of the box with a smaller lamination as the front where I could cut out rectangular windows in the area inside the wings to serve as "windows" for her awards and other devices. The center part could remain solid to mount the brass plate with her info on it. I was writing this post to ask a bunch of questions but find that they were kind of answered as I was thinking what to write (or I think they were). The base could be square so it wouldn't need any help standing up. So I guess the question now is do you guys and gals think that it would look alright or should I punt and just make a more conventional shadow box?
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Any item that is unique and different from the 'normal becomes a conversation piece. In this case I would emulate David Marks and do a prototype in MDF first.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Excellent advice, Pappy!
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Delta Contractor Saw

Thanks Pappy, I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Mike - be sure to post pics of your progress as well as the finished box. Should be great!
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Basic shadow boxes are a dime a dozen. Even the nice ones. How you're going to one make from an ATC rating badge is gonna be a real challenge but I'm looking foreward to seeing it. Mine looks pretty simple till you think about how it had to be made. Wouldn't part with it for anything. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Delta Contractor Saw

I agree Pat. This one is pushing my ability but if I can pull it off, I'll post pictures.

Comment

Working...