• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

'Nuther ??? on hinges

After all the discussin' and cussin' over Euro hinges, I bought some 5/8" Liberty Hardware overlay hinges at HD. Appear to be decent hinges, 3 way adjustable, 100 degree opening.

Anyone ever use them? Opinions?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Sorry Pappy, no, but I did look at them for a while. What sold me on the blum was the variable overlay (wind), and the detachability. The HD ones I think are pretty standard kitchen ones though, they'll probably be just fine.

Did they include good installation instructions?
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Pappy
      After all the discussin' and cussin' over Euro hinges, I bought some 5/8" Liberty Hardware overlay hinges at HD. Appear to be decent hinges, 3 way adjustable, 100 degree opening.

Anyone ever use them? Opinions?
      Pappy,
      I recently bought a 10-pack of the hinges you mention above. I was pleased with the ease of installation and how well they work. I just wish HD would stock a larger variety of the Euro hinges as the other cabinets I'll be building will need a larger overlay than the 5/8" overlay hinges that they carry.
      From the NW corner of Montana.
      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Stan, did you buy a 35mm bit or use a 1 3/8"?
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by Pappy
          Stan, did you buy a 35mm bit or use a 1 3/8"?
          I bought the 35mm bit that comes in a package with the plastic layout template. I figured I would tear/destroy/lose the paper template that came with the hinges, and the plastic one works durn good, so.....
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Seeing how 1 3/8" is 34.925mm, you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference of 0.075mm (by comparison, dollar bill thickness is 0.110mm)

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I checked with the tool suppliers on my route today. None of them had a 35 mm or 1 3/8" on hand. One of them was going to take the 1 3/8 out of a 16 pc Milwaulkee set he had and order a replacement, but it was already missing. Swung by Hogan's Hardwood to see if my man there had an opinion on the 2 versions of the Frued bits available. Better option...35mm carbide Whiteside. Since I figure it will see a lot of use, I bit the bullet and spent the $40.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Pappy,

I think you did the right thing on the bit. I like MLCS but the 1 3/8 forstener I bought from them is not my favorite bit. It is a bit oversized and the hinges are not a snug fit in the holes. I think this is one of those situation where a better bit is called for - spending a little more makes sense. I eventually found my 35mm bit which is more precise and makes better fitting holes. In theory, 1 3/8 forstener may be undersized but my experience with this chinese made bit is not consistent with that.

With respect to the Liberty hinges, I have used them when I was too impatient to wait for mail order. They are relatively expensive compared to mail order and lack some of the nicer features like snap on mounting. If you can wait a week next time, I would mail order from Woodworkers Hardware. They will send you a catalog which has lots of good information (how many hinges you need for various sizes and weights of doors, tools, lots of base options, etc.). They would probably just send you a catalog if you asked. I also have ordered hinges from other mail order outfits but Woodworkers Hardware has the largest selection and the most information in their catalog. It forces you to work in metric for ordering but that is what the hinges are designed in. Inch measurements are only approximately correct for European hinges (I hate metric but I tolerate it to get the right hinges and get them installed). They sell mainly Blum European hinges but this is a good brand. I looked when somebody else noticed I had posted the wrong name and 110 degree hinges were less than $3 with the mounts another buck or so. I suspect the Liberty were more for not as nice a hinge. They will work fine, however.

Jim

Comment

Working...