• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan G
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Charleston, SC.

Router cabinet top

I am brand new to woodworking, I didn't even know what a router was a few months ago (seriously!), you can imagine how many hours I spent on this site... now I am the proud owner of a BT3100 (as well as a Bosch router, HF DC, Bosch jigsaw, and Hitachi drill press... mostly due to recommendations and "bargains" I read on here). My first project has been the router cabinet from "Woodworking with the Router." I have everything finished except for the top. I plan on making the top out of a piece of countertop from Lowe's (laminated particle board) and 3/4' MDF. Is there any special way I need to use to attach these together or is wood glue and some screws sufficient?
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

No need for screws. Wood glue alone will be fine. Spread it evenly on one surface, using a chip brush or old paint brush. Then just clamp it together on a flat surface. (Hint: avoid using a glue like Gorilla glue here, because it expands when it cures, and can cause an uneven lamination.)
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

I guess I have used most types of glue for laminations over the years but keep going back to plain woodworking glue, especially with stuff like MDF as the bond is very good, there is no big concern with directional expansion/contraction cycles and I always have that kind of glue close at hand.
      I also double up for router table tops for the rigidity. I usually put a few screws in from the underside more to lock the pieces together than anything. As mentioned, when dry the glue bond over suach a large surface is more thhan enough on its own.
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I'd just add that clamping around the edges is easy, but not so easy to get even pressure towards the center. Either use cauls or pop a few screws in where they won't interfere with the cut-out for the insert, track or any other feature.

Another alternative is to stack heavy weights on top of the glued-up assembly. Let us know how you get on - pictures are always welcome!

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I laminated a sink cutout to 3/4 plywood for my router table top. I figured out where I would put miter gauge slots and where the router cutout would be (I cut the plywood out for the shape of the router to let the router collet come up as high as possible) and did not put screws there. You only need the screws until the glue dries but they are a pretty handy way to clamp things together. You could just put them evenly spaced over the surface and pull them after a couple hours.

I also added a maple band around the entire top. I used maple only because I had a scrap around. Oak would also be fine. I would use something fairly hard for durability. This is mainly an appearance thing but it makes a significant difference in the appearance.

Jim

Comment

• linear
            • May 2004
            • DeSoto, KS, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

We had a thread a while back where someone suggested parking your car on the glueup. I like that idea.
            --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Ryan G
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Charleston, SC.

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. I will post a some pics when I'm all done!

Comment

Working...