I have been trying to make some decent wooden spheres and have ended up cobbling together a poorman's outboard lathe from an old benchtop DP to facilitate this. Currently I am using a rasp, file and sandpaper to produce each sphere, but I would imagine a real turning tool (gouge, etc.) would produce much better results much faster.
So my question is what would be the minimal set of turning tools I should consider purchasing for this project? I have no intention of getting full blown into turning any time soon, and really only want to finish up these spheres so I'd like to save $. Suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there some kind of "universal" gouge that might work for what I need to do, and what would it be called (admiting my ignorance of such nomenclature).
So my question is what would be the minimal set of turning tools I should consider purchasing for this project? I have no intention of getting full blown into turning any time soon, and really only want to finish up these spheres so I'd like to save $. Suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there some kind of "universal" gouge that might work for what I need to do, and what would it be called (admiting my ignorance of such nomenclature).
