• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Aged finish, how?

So LOML found a piece of art that she loves. It is a hunk of flooring that was cut out of an old barn, then painted with a basic print on it. It is approx. 3 feet by 5 feet. The part that she loves is the old paint and rotted look about it. I can buy similar pine bead board T&G flooring at HD, but how do I go about giving the whole thing an 'aged' look?

I plan on knocking out as many of the knots as possible to give it some character there, and slamming some chains on the piece to give it some wear. I guess it is that partially 'rotted' thing that is stumping me.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Lee
    Attached Files
  • Boomer_01
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Lee,
    I used this technique to age an oak bookcase so it would look like an old English painted piece.

First I panted the cabinet in an off white color I cant remember the name of the color but it resembled a white that had yellowed with age.

Then I distressed the painted surface with a piece of wire cable strung with a variety of screws, I-bolts nails washers etc. I also used an awl to make wormholes and a dulled screwdriver to vein the surfaces.

The I did an aging sanding and removed the color on the “touch” areas and surfaces. I followed the distressing with a hand applied coating of Minwax oil stain in “Deep Walnut”. I ragged on the stain and then removed most of it leaving the dark color to highlight the distressing. I just kept applying stain and then removing it until I got the patina I wanted.

You might also consider painting the base color a dark brown or using a dark stain then applying the lighter paint color then distressing and then aging. After I finished the entire piece I paste waxed it to a dull sheen.

My wife really liked the final piece and several visitors have complimented it.

Boomer

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Can you post some pics of it?

Originally posted by Boomer_01
      Lee,
      I used this technique to age an oak bookcase so it would look like an old English painted piece.

First I panted the cabinet in an off white color I cant remember the name of the color but it resembled a white that had yellowed with age.

Then I distressed the painted surface with a piece of wire cable strung with a variety of screws, I-bolts nails washers etc. I also used an awl to make wormholes and a dulled screwdriver to vein the surfaces.

The I did an aging sanding and removed the color on the “touch” areas and surfaces. I followed the distressing with a hand applied coating of Minwax oil stain in “Deep Walnut”. I ragged on the stain and then removed most of it leaving the dark color to highlight the distressing. I just kept applying stain and then removing it until I got the patina I wanted.

You might also consider painting the base color a dark brown or using a dark stain then applying the lighter paint color then distressing and then aging. After I finished the entire piece I paste waxed it to a dull sheen.

My wife really liked the final piece and several visitors have complimented it.

Boomer

Comment

• lkazista
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Boomer_01
        Lee,

Boomer
        So did you apply the stain to the entire piece? Right over the paint, or did you apply to the bare wood spots that you had sanded only?

I would LOVE to see a photo of the piece, and maybe a close up of some detail.

Thanks for the tips!

Lee

Comment

• Boomer_01
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

Lee/ivwshane:
          I will see if I can borrow a digital camera from someone and get a few shots.

It will be next week if thats ok.

Boomer

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

There's a shop here specializing in kids furniture, finished in faux old. They use a white color like Boomer mentioned, then a second (and maybe a third?) coat with a "color". They use pastel greens and blues for these top coats. Then they sand as Boomer described.

Extra color layers make it seem as if the piece had been re-painted at some point, enhancing the oldness idea.

JR
            JR

Comment

• bobevans
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

Check out the General Finishes website. They have some great products and tips to achieve that antiqued distressed effect you are looking for. You can purchase them at rockler.com

general finishes website:

http://www.generalfinishes.com/tips/...nt_samples.htm

Comment

Working...