Do I need a certain type of paint for this finish?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Do I need a certain type of paint for this finish?

I'm just about done with this project (I can't believe how quick it went) and I want to achieve the same kind of finish as in this picture:
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...011&navCount=2

Do I use any special kind of primer (I'm using pine if that matters)? Do I even need primer? Latex or oil? What about a protective coat?
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I can't say how to acheive that type of finish, but a few quick tips, some from reading on here in the past, some from experience.

Use a primer. It makes your life easier. Especially with pine. In fact, use a good stain blocking primer, I think. If you have any knotts and the like, color can come out of them and through to the paint over time.

I would reccommend against oil in most cases, it yellows noticable over time. The previous owner of my house repainted all of the trim with oil paint (about 2-3 years ago, I think), and even when I use the same paint that he did, the color is noticable different. I don't think that that type of finish would look good with the yellowing. So, oil is out.

I would think that you might want to look into a water based enamel type paint rather than a latex regular. Perhaps something like Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. Unfortuntely, even though I have a can, I can't report on it, I haven't had a chance to repaint the trim I was planning to. With a good quality pain, a protective coat should not be necessary.

-Jim

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Water based enamel sounds good. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

One of latest issues of WOOD features a chimney cupboard project with 'antique paint' finish that uses glaze to achieve the effect - they describe the process in detail.

Comment

• ivwshane
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Sacramento CA

I have some of this laying around, is this an ok primer to use (zinsser)?
          http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11

Comment

• Boomer_01
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

Here are my suggestions for a superior painted finish on a wood cabinet.

First and foremost use the highest possible quality of paint.

For the primer I recommend three coats of oil based Porter Paint’s GLYPTEX Interior Alkyd Pigmented Sealer. Lightly sand between coats with a synthetic sanding pad to flatten the grain.

Let the primed surface rest for at least 48 hours then do a light rough up sanding and remove all dust with a shop vac and brush, and then with a tack cloth.

Apply three to five coats of an oil based color coat. I strongly recommend ADVANTAGE 900 Gloss Int/Ext Acrylic or GLYPTEX Interior Alkyd color with a light sanding and dust removal between coats.

All in all it will take about a week to paint. The let the piece rest for about 72 hours and apply a coat of furniture paste wax. The piece will be durable; the pine wont bleed into the finish and it will be professional quality.

Anyway that’s my suggestion and I know from experience that the technique will provide excellent performance.

Boomer

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

Wow!

I'll check the prices to see if it's within the budget. I was hoping to be done in 8 hours

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Boomer_01
              Here are my suggestions for a superior painted finish on a wood cabinet.

First and foremost use the highest possible quality of paint.

For the primer I recommend three coats of oil based Porter Paint’s GLYPTEX Interior Alkyd Pigmented Sealer. Lightly sand between coats with a synthetic sanding pad to flatten the grain.

Let the primed surface rest for at least 48 hours then do a light rough up sanding and remove all dust with a shop vac and brush, and then with a tack cloth.

Apply three to five coats of an oil based color coat. I strongly recommend ADVANTAGE 900 Gloss Int/Ext Acrylic or GLYPTEX Interior Alkyd color with a light sanding and dust removal between coats.

All in all it will take about a week to paint. The let the piece rest for about 72 hours and apply a coat of furniture paste wax. The piece will be durable; the pine wont bleed into the finish and it will be professional quality.

Anyway that’s my suggestion and I know from experience that the technique will provide excellent performance.

Boomer

Comment

Working...