• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Dust removal - mineral spirits?

Will dampening a rag with mineral spirits and using it to wipe down a piece to remove sanding dust cause finishing problems later? Water will raise the grain.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • monte
    Forum Windbag
    • Dec 2002
    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
    • GI 50-185M

Not that I am aware of David. I do it all the time and have had no problems at all.
    Monte (another darksider)
    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Monte,

Thanks for the reply. My finish sander has a vac attach that helps but it does not get all the dust.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I was introduced to tack cloths many years ago while refinishing a car. Nothing works better IMHO.

A mineral spirits dampened rag does do a fair job a bit better than the rag is cheesecloth.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Another advantage of using a mineral spirit-dampened rag is that missed glue splotches will become more visible, especially if you shine a raking light across the joints.
          Brian

Comment

• thestinker
            • Oct 2005
            • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I didn't know that about the glue. I will need to remember that. Does it matter what kind of finish you will be applying as far as will the mineral spirits interfear with a water based finish, or can it be used for both water and iol based finishes?
            Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• jbalders
              Established Member
              • Oct 2003
              • Vienna, VA, USA.
              • BT3100 + Shopsmith

As long as you give it a decent amount of time, it should completely evaporate and not interfere with water-based finishes. I read something recently that recommended not using tack-cloths because they could leave residue behind that would cause finishing problems later. Their alternative was a wipedown with a rag laden with mineral spirits.

I haven't used any water-based finishes to date, so I have no first hand experience with which to make these claims.

Jeff
              Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• tmaceroli
                Established Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

It's really not that much different than using an oil-based stain and then a water-based finish, which I do all the time. I use mineral spirits to wipe down the piece first, then apply the stain. No waiting, even. You just need to let the stain, or the mineral spirits if you're not staining, dry first. I let stain dry overnight, then make sure I didn't miss any spots before I start the first coat of finish. I also make a last check for glue spots.
                Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
                - Cardinal Newman

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

This post should be a good place to ask this question since it kinda goes along with the topic. Why don't people use air to blow the dust off? Seems this would really get any and all dust off the project.
                  May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by lcm1947
                    This post should be a good place to ask this question since it kinda goes along with the topic. Why don't people use air to blow the dust off? Seems this would really get any and all dust off the project.
                    Because it just settles back down on the piece you just blew it off of. Along with all the other dust you stir up when blowing it off. I use mineral spirits after the initial sanding and a tack cloth between coats. IMO the fear of a tack cloth causing problems is someones opinion, not fact.

ken

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Thanks for that reply Ken. Well yeah I kinda thought about that and is the reason why I carry it outside if I can but you are right it could settle back down on the project I can't or won't carry out there. Bummer I'll have to stop that little trick. I am so glad you said that about tack cloths. I only just discovered them and they are the neatest thing since sliced bread. Glad I don't have to stop using them. I mean I'm really glad. See
                      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...