• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

WTB--Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

I'd like to try one of these, but they don't come up on CL and the e-bay bidding gets above retail on a regular basis. Thought i'd touch base here and see in somebody's gotten one (maybe the Christmas present you never wanted??) that they're not using and would like to part with. If i were to buy a new one, i'd probably opt for the K4MS (master system), which i could get right now for $139 less a $15 rebate.

As a possible alternative to all-cash, I've got the following that items that could be available for partial trade consideration:
    Set of BT3000 rails
    Delta Mortising Kit for mounting to a Drill Press, never mounted and i don't think any of the chisels have been used--will need to verify that.
    Older PC 690 router, fixed base, single speed. Runs great but i've got a pair of 1617's i use all the time.
    Bench Dog Router Table Fence--with the cantilever clamps to mount to table edge--would cost more to ship than the BT rails i think.

Not 100% sure i'm going to buy one, but definitely leaning that way. Thanks!!

earl
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I have the Kreg R3 jig which works just fine.

Huge cost savings, and only slight reduction in utility. I think it's a great entree into the dark world of Kreg.

Comment

• frumper64
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Garland, Tx, USA.

Take a look at the Harbor Freight version (item 96264). I've had it for a year or two and have been very happy with it. Currently on sale for $65, so with a 20% off coupon you could have it for just a shade over $50.
      Jim
      64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I bought an aluminum with steel insert set, I think from Penn State. I don't think it's sold any more. I have a Krieg shelf pin drilling jig and have been impressed with the thoughtfulness. I don't have a firm recommendation other than I would get a pocket hole jig. They are definitely useful. I would assume a Krieg is better but I can say from experience that other brands work just fine.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I have a Kreg jig somewhere. If I ever find it I'll just give it away. I don't like pocket screws. I prefer traditional joinery.

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I have a Kreg jig somewhere. If I ever find it I'll just give it away. I don't like pocket screws. I prefer traditional joinery.

I used to be like that too. But now you'd have to pry my Kreg setup from my cold dead hands.

B
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by bmyers
              I used to be like that too. But now you'd have to pry my Kreg setup from my cold dead hands.

B
              How do you really feel about it?? Yeah, i'm thinking if I want to try one i'll just have to buy new. Better resale value than any car I ever bought though. Unless Cabinetman finds his...that's the stuff dreams are made of!!

earl

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I figure the pocket holes are more of a construction tool than a fine woodworking tool. It's an embellished butt join.

I use my Kreg from time-to-time ----- but I prefer dowels or even better - mortises/tenons.

I use the pocket hole for:
                - building quick/easy jigs (my band saw resaw fence, for example)
                - enhancement/repairs - like installing a reinforcement cross member a sagging table.
                - shop stuff (I used pocket holes for my scrap wood storage bin)

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

wtb Kreg Pocket hole jig

I agree with frumper64 about the Harbor Freight pocket hole jig. I have one,used it several times and like it! It is a well made tool and works well with no problems so far, and at the current price can be hard to beat!

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

I had two full sets, one in Japan and one back here. I brought my set from Japan back with me but since I have been back, I have not been able to find the one that was here in the states.

That said, I used to use dowells and have not since first using the pocket hole jig. With a little thought and planning, holes can be hidden on joints even without the plugs. On occasion I do use biscuit joints. On the bookcases and kitchen hutch, I used pocket holes inside the top and inside the bottom so that it is not seen from insde the cabinet. I also used the PH up under the middle section so that it could not be seen unless one got down on their hands and knees.

The reason that I got into pocket hole jigs is because I knew that what ever I made (and I made the below while living in Japan) I would want to bring back to the US, so I made things to be able to take apart and bring back in a more minimalized size.

Bookcase on this thread:
                    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=bookcase
                    Last edited by leehljp; 06-20-2013, 06:26 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                      The reason that I got into pocket hole jigs is because I knew that what ever I made (and I made the below while living in Japan) I would want to bring back to the US, so I made things to be able to take apart and bring back in a more minimalized size.

[

How did that work out for you? Did they go back together easily or did they feel loose when going back together?
                      I have had idea's for a couple pieces of furniture that I would like to do that with, in case I ever moved, or due to an (three actually) experience moving a large piece of furniture (from room to room, or house), that my parents had made.

Thanks
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        How did that work out for you? Did they go back together easily or did they feel loose when going back together?
                        I have had idea's for a couple pieces of furniture that I would like to do that with, in case I ever moved, or due to an (three actually) experience moving a large piece of furniture (from room to room, or house), that my parents had made.

Thanks
                        Actually they went back together very well. Tight, no play what-so-ever. On the pine hutch I used my drill-driver with the clutch set on 1 or 2 and then hand tightened to the right amount to prevent stripping. As with cabinetry, when joints are square, flush and in alignment, that contributes to considerable strength. This works together with screws or glue or other to make it feel solid. This was my experience.

I had thought along the same lines as you - in case it did not work well in re-construction, I knew that once I got the items back over here, I could re-inforce any joints with glue as they would not be de-constructed again. But everything is tight with no slack, and I didn't have to use any glue. (Well, one door panel on the hutch had to has some glue as the rail on one came loose, but that has nothing to do with screws and re-assembly.)

Within a few months of putting the hutch back together, it was full of cook books. And about 6 months after that, I had to slide it around the kitchen as I was doing some re-painting of the kitchen walls. (Up under the base of the hutch, each corner has some thick nylon sliders, so it slides fairly easy). With all of this, the hutch is solid.

As to the two book cases, I put them together at my house in North MS, moved them (350 miles) via trailer to Springfield MO to my daughter's apartment in the summer of 2011, and then about 15 miles to her new house a year later. Those book cases are solid with no joint movement or joint flex what so ever.

I did not need glue on either. I also attribute it to taking time, planning and testing as I was building it. I generally have a tendency to overbuild strength into items and that comes from the experience of underestimating the need in the beginning days of my woodwork - don't want that to happen again .
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bmyers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2003
                          • Fishkill, NY
                          • bt 3100

I guess what many are saying is buy once, cry once. Kreg is good stuff. Just get one!!

Bill
                          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Love my Kreg. Not just for new projects, but for making repairs in existing cabinetry or trim, it's really great.

If you're going to jump in, I think the deal with the case and screws are a good value.

Comment

• BubbaJ
                              Handtools only
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Mint Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3000

I would be interested in your BT3000 rails. What would you want for them?

Comment

Working...