• Show
Clear All
  • Thalermade
    • Dec 2002
    • Ohio
    • BT 3000

5 Marples chisels

Sold
    Never used. Have been stored in the back of a cabinet for I can't remember how many years. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, & 1 inc. $35 shipped.
    Paypal money transfer only. Contact me with PM please.

Sold. Sorry, but thanks to all those who were interested.

thanks,
    Russ
    Last edited by Thalermade; 02-27-2010, 06:21 AM. Reason: Sold the chisels
  • SARGE..g-47

Those look like my set of Marples "blue beaters" I purchased in 1974 and wouldn't part with.. Probably latter but Marples did not change design at all until Irwin bought them out and changed to steel I have heard. Good deal for someone!

Comment

• jgrobler
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Salinas, CA, USA.
      • TS3650

I'll bite. PM sent.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

That's a good deal. If I didn't already have a good set of Marples, I'd be all over it.

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

Those look exactly like the Irwins I bought recendly at Menards, except that it was a four pack. The packaging even referenced Marples (with the Irwin name) and the blades are clearly stamped Sheffield, England. Definitely does not say China. The handles and the blade covers are exactly the same as the ones I have. Maybe I got lucky when I found mine.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Irwin bought out Marples a few years ago Sailor. The design of the chisel didn't change but there is suspicion that the grade of steel did? With that said I did purchase an Irwin 1/8" to chop very narrow DT's with about a year ago and frankly... it's works fine for a $12 chisel.

I paid around $22 for a set of 5 Marples in 1974 which was a lot of money back then but Marples were top notch those days made with Sheffield, England steel which was then world grade. I just sold a set of high $$ Ashley Isles as I came to the conclussion my "blue beaters" would last my life-time. They are about an 1" shorter from sharpening over 36 years so at that rate they will outrun me.

Comment

• Northerner
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2009
              • Vermillion, South Dakota
              • Craftsman 22124

i got a used 6pc set of Irwins for $40 that were never used from what i can tell
              but i sure dont like the hard plastic handles on them, its like they werent pushed
              on all the way cause there is spaces around the handles to o-ring thingy.
              wish i could take the handles off and replace with wood?

Comment

Working...