• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by RayintheUK
    I've always heeded your opinion, Lee, but on this occasion and for clarification, I'll need to quote from the FAQs again:

"What are administrators?

Administrators are the people who have overall control of everything that happens on the board. They oversee how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, what information to require from members and who to appoint as moderators."

Nothing in there changes my view that forums are NOT democracies. Consensus is, therefore, irrelevant - there are rules - end of story - no discussion needed or required. I can obey rules and I certainly don't need or appreciate any other spin on them as I believe this topic was intended to provide.

I'm not trying to be either confrontational or obtuse here, but where something is brought up in this way which - given the above - I can only view as unnecessary, then it could also be viewed as attention-seeking.

As I've already said, I believe that a forum is not a democracy and should not, therefore, be run by consensus. If it were, then I would have been challenging many previous Mod and Admin "decisions" in the past. I haven't, because I can stick to rules, whether I totally agree with them, or not.

That's the entire point of what I'm saying - if a post-holder can't administer the established rules without seeking public consensus approval, the job's probably not for them, IMO.

Changes to forum rules are a matter for the owner and staff in private, not dealt with in a public, off-the-cuff, free-for-all amongst the membership. I've seen several similar voluntarily-staffed organisations go astray and under because of this type of gratuitous "fiddling about" and this thread has rung a warning bell for me. Hopefully, however, my long-standing, ingrained cynicism means that I'm the only one to hold such a view.

Ray

That is why I posted his title. It's up to him to get a consensus or not depending on the situation or issue. Some governing functions are not up for debate. Others can be. The ultimate decision of course, rests with the Admins. I am certain they take the results of such debate or discussions into account.
    This particular issue had repercussions for Members in the long run and IMO had every right to be debated amongst us all.

As Mods or Admin's, it is impossible to please everyone every instance. I personally and I feel the others as well, try to find a middle ground on most issues. Interpretation of statements and deciphering intent of a poster is part of a Mods job. With almost every issue though, there are at least two sides or points of view. In between, there is a lot of area for consideration. If one issue is clearly toward one side or another, that narrows the scope of a decision a Mod may have to make. The closer a post gets to breaking a rule or being taboo, the easier the job becomes. The decisions made will obviously sit wrong with some. Nature of the beast.

Essentially, I try to remember the rules, read what was posted, take past events into account, discuss between mods, then a decision will come about. This is generally how decisions involving everyday posts come about here.

Blatant issues need little in the way of discussion and are hopefully dealt with swiftly, but sometimes either left undone or unseen by Mods. Members alerting us helps out for sure, but regardless the system can never be perfect and will always need to be monitored. A little understanding and tolerance can go along way to providing a better atmosphere for us all. Thanks.
    Lee

Comment

• schloff
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Southern Middle TN
      • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

I found this site by parting out my BT and selling here. I did a simple search for BT's for sale or wanted, and stumbled on it. That was about 4 years ago. I used to belong to another forum, but I quickly got addicted to you fellers

I appreciate all that I read here, and I like the fact that y'all are able to keep a respectful distance from the usual arguing points. (politics, religion...) The wide variety of opinions on a single topic can be downright funny sometimes, too.

Thanks for taking us newbys in.

Just another idiot's rant.

Comment

• MelissaDaisy99
        Handtools only
        • Jun 2011

Thank you, this is good news for new visitors.

Comment

• jeepman71
          Established Member
          • Nov 2008

I understand the possible problem but as with myself and my post count after several years of visiting this forum on nearly a daily basis I would feel constricted to enjoy the benefits and the reason I visit this site on a daily basis.

Comment

• seabat
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2008
            • Liberty Lake, WA

Interesting discussion ... I'm probably considered more of a 'lurker' more than anything else.

I read emails everyday from here but haven't posted much. However, I do recognize names from other forums where they do know me.

My reason for joining was because what has become a 'limited financial expenditure for toys' I was hopeful I'd stumble upon a 3100 someday for a 'song and a dance' (hasn't happened yet) and I would be able to bury my 30+ year old B&D and have a real saw ...

Comment

• Old Dutchman
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2011
              • Holland Mi
              • My BT3000

I have been a member for several years now! I don't have a lot to say. I love to go through the forum and read about things priamerly to do with the Bt3000! I own one, and I like to read about them. I reply when ever some one hasen't. I have not bought any thing on the forum, nor have I sold any thing. I had a problem getting back on, and even finding the forum back. Be carefull not to count Us as out cast. We do enjoy, and try to post.
              Last edited by Old Dutchman; 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM.
              I have Hope, and I am Thankfull! Consider WhoWhoGreated it ALL

Comment

• dusty
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2012
                • AZ
                • Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and a Mark V Model 510 with a BT3K Rail Kit, SMT, and Router Table

I am new but I am not here just so that I can use the classifieds. If I am guilty at all, it is because I might find something BT related that I want to buy.

However, I feel the the moderators have every right (even a duty) to ban anyone who shows evidence that their only interest in this forum is a means to buy or sell.

Comment

• barry33781@yahoo.com
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2012

Post a Message

I may have posted two times. One time was a question. I am not an experienced woodworker. I use my table saw for simple jobs involving house or apartment maintenance. I have not posted because I do not have knowledge to share. I do enjoy learning from others. I have, however, Ryobi
                  saws I have sold and could sell. Some think I wish to take advantage of this forum because I do not post often. I am content to sell on CL locally.

I do think the experience I have buying and selling Ryobi saws has some value. I the people who do not want their table saw into four basic groups. The no room group are people who seldom use their saw. Often these men (so far no women) are under pressure from their spouse to get rid of that thing. The second group are in the process of moving. They do not want
                  move the saw to a new location. The third group would use their saw more often, but lack knowledge. The fourth group do not know how to use their Ryobi saw and therefor do not know its value. Often these people are not the original buyers of their Ryobi and have it due to a hand-me-down or a gift, but, often without instruction.

Comment

Working...