• Show
Clear All
  • stocktr8er
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Midland, TX
    • BT3000

Casters wanted

I am building some rolling storage units for my garage. Just a simple 2x4 project. I am looking for inexpensive casters. Does anyone know the best place to get casters in bulk (looking for about 40 total)? Also, what do I need to look at for or to avoid? Don't want to go so cheap as to have to replace it a month later. Probably looking at a 200lb capacity

Thanks,
    Curtis
    Curtis
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

well, you mentioned that you wanted to build some storage units. you did not say whether they were also going to act as work benches or not? as for the size, definitely consider 4" min, but i guess preferably 5" casters because they roll easier under load over joints in the floor....

if they are going to work as work benches, then you would want them to have locking wheels but also have locking swivels. you can get double locking wheels from woodcraft or online, but they will generally be expensive. if i am correct, you will be looking at $12 to $15 for each caster.

however, if you dont need to have locking swivel, then checkout harbor freight. they usually run a coupon and they are not all that expensive. check out home depot aswell. i'd do a search online too, and see what you can find.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Omar is right on the need for total lock casters for work surfaces. If these are just going to be storage that will need to be moved occassionally, I would still recommend wheel locks on the front pair to keep them from taking off if bumped hard. Keep in mind that most garage floors are poured with a slope to drain water.

Under no circumstances would I recommend the casters that HF sells. The swivel bearings are single row and the races are substandard. Under load they won't swivel the way they should making steering more of a chore than it should be. I would also want some kind of bearings on the wheel axle. Without them, the casters will be difficult to roll and will tend to develop flat spots on the inside of the wheels sitting stationary.

Don't trust the ratings on import casters, or your estimated load. Double your estimate and divide by 4 to figure what you need as a minimum, then buy casters slightly above that. For light to medium loads, I have had good luck with the Red Polyurethane casters from Grizzly. In this case, you should be good with 3" for storage or 4" for work tables.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/307

Casters are like cabinet hardware, scrimp too much and you will pay later.
      Last edited by Pappy; 02-20-2008, 08:54 PM.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• stocktr8er
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007
        • Midland, TX
        • BT3000

Thanks

These are just big storage units to store plastic bins of clothes and the like, so no bench top.

I appreciate the advise and link. Definitely better prices than I have found for comparable.

Thanks again,

Curtis
        Curtis

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Hartville tools also sells casters that get high recommendations. I am not sure how they are in comparison to Grizzly, but I do know people recommend them and they do seem to go on sale fairly often.

That said, they are a lighter version of what Woodcraft and Peachtree sells. Someone over at Sawmill or Woodnet showed pictures of both Hartville's and Woodcraft's. Woodcraft's locked over more of the wheel, and at opposite ends of the outer two teeth for total lock. Hartville's locked on two teeth, with a bit of looseness for some wobble.

If you buy cheaper casters, it will cost you more, because you will have to either replace them early, or use more casters, to distribute the load, from my experience.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

LR just beat me to mentioning the Hartville Tool casters. I have two sets of four, in the 3" size, and they're great for anything that's not a workstation, like a lumber cart. On sale, they cost about a dollar less than the very similar Grizzly red polyurethane models. BTW, I've read that the red polyurethane tires are not as prone to snagging on small, stray objects on the floor as the black rubber ones are, and my experience seems to bear this out. I can roll my Hartville casters around the shop and if they hit a wood chip or whatever, they'll just bump right over it. The black casters I've had experience with will usually snag and skid.

I'll have to check out those Woodcraft casters, though. I find the small amount of slop in the Hartville casters when they're locked annoying when they're used under a workstation, as one set of mine are. Until now I have assumed the higher price of the Woodcraft casters was just a case of most things costing more at Woodcraft; but if they'll truly lock down rock-solid, they'd be worth the extra bucks.
            Last edited by LarryG; 02-21-2008, 01:13 PM.
            Larry

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

If you can wait, Grizzly puts their's on sale every summer. Used to be half price but not that much the last couple of years.

If you want top of the line casters, go to Casters.com, scroll throught the sales reps, and give Joe Mauro a call. They will custom make what you need at about the same price imports go for at Woodcraft. Mounting plate sizes can be changed, different wheel types/sizes, several choices of axle bearings. All swivels have double row bearings. You won't find any better on the market. Four casters or 40, the service is at the same outstanding level.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I found the thread on Sawmill. It does have pictures of the difference.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75281
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

FWIW, the Woodcraft double-lockers are rock solid, so if you need to be, buck up and get them and then fahgeddabahdit. The ones sold by Peachtree are good also, but you won't save any money unless you get them at a show, because regular pricing and shipping will get you. But go for quality, because you don't want to be flipping stuff over and changing them out later on (DAMHIKT).

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Austin, TX

Just to throw in another wrinkle, our local HD has the Stanley Garage Workshop set of (four) 3" wheels on clearance for $3 for the set. These were designed to fit their poly-garage-workbench-storage cabs and include the inserts for same. Toss the inserts and screw/bolt directly to your set-up. Two locking wheels, two non-locking, all swivel...box states "Heavy Duty". Pretty good for $3!! Got two sets just for grins.

Comment

Working...