• Show
Clear All
  • tuttlejr
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Pro Digital SLR Camera anyone seeking?

Finally sold via local Craigslist.
    Last edited by tuttlejr; 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM.
    Bob Tuttle
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

What lenses are you selling with it?

I'm at least midly interested, but probably don't have the money right now

Jim

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I don't mean to undermine your sale but although that is a very nice camera it is far from being a pro camera. It is already a generation old for even consumer level DSLR since many 8, 10, and 12 meg bodies are now available from major camera manufacturers. Also prices have been falling regularly in that market and can be expected to continue that trends as new models come to market with higher res sensors.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by maxparot
        I don't mean to undermine your sale but although that is a very nice camera it is far from being a pro camera. It is already a generation old for even consumer level DSLR since many 8, 10, and 12 meg bodies are now available from major camera manufacturers. Also prices have been falling regularly in that market and can be expected to continue that trends as new models come to market with higher res sensors.
        Far from pro? I don't agree.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ntax_k100d.asp

It gets very high marks in this review (and others) in every important regard.

Every pro has his favorite (of the week). But I don't know a single pro that would turn his nose up at the K100d.

Comment

• gabedad
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Chelmsford, MA.
          • unfortunately bts-15

I was a professional photojournalist ( Video and still ) in the New York Market for 13+ years (abc, nbc, cnn, News 12 networks) . Never saw anyone shoot anything besides nikon or canon.

I absolutely agree with maxparot. While it may be a very nice camera - it is not a pro level camera.

I shoot a 10 mp nikon d200 ($2500 with lens) and that is really classified as a semi pro - pro camera.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

boy, you guys are making me feel like i bought a dinosaur. last year i bought a nikon d-50. i think its like 5 mp camera. i paid something like $900 with two lense with upto 300 zoom and case. if they have cameras with 10mp out there as current models, i wonder if i paid too much for mine . have to check prices as soon as i get home tonight.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by gabedad
              I was a professional photojournalist ( Video and still ) in the New York Market for 13+ years (abc, nbc, cnn, News 12 networks) . Never saw anyone shoot anything besides nikon or canon.

I absolutely agree with maxparot. While it may be a very nice camera - it is not a pro level camera.

I shoot a 10 mp nikon d200 ($2500 with lens) and that is really classified as a semi pro - pro camera.
              Here is a review from Professional Photographer:

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/...tax-k100d.html

"compact, light-weight DSLR camera with a 6.1 megapixel CCD that's targeted at consumers, but would do well for certain professional applications"

Great low-light, kewl anti-shake. It is a neat camera.

Sure, Canon and Nikon own the market. But there are plenty of pros using other cameras.

Just like woodworking. Delta/Powermatic/Griz etc. own the professional market. But then you have James Krenov using little aluminum power tools that most "pros" (that don't command $5k and up for a single piece) scoff at.

Comment

• Crash2510
                • Feb 2006
                • North Central Ohio

agree with cg it's not about the "tools" its about the results
                Phil In Ohio
                The basement woodworker

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Crash2510
                  agree with cg it's not about the "tools" its about the results
                  Correct. I also think it's a bit unfair to make him defend the thing in a classified ad.

It may be a worthy discussion as to what makes a "pro" camera (or any tool, for that matter), but would be better had in the coffee room. IMO.

JR
                  JR

Comment

• ragswl4
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Winchester, Ca
                    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by JR
                    Correct. I also think it's a bit unfair to make him defend the thing in a classified ad.

It may be a worthy discussion as to what makes a "pro" camera (or any tool, for that matter), but would be better had in the coffee room. IMO.

JR

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for saving me from saying something that I might regret. And good luck to the seller.
                    RAGS
                    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                    sigpic

Comment

• Scottydont
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Originally posted by JR

JR
                      I could not agree more.
                      Scott
                      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• gabedad
                        Established Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Chelmsford, MA.
                        • unfortunately bts-15

it's not the point of the seller defending the camera - you are right, he should not have to. and it is also true that the results makes the difference. But to call it a "Pro Digital SLR" - That it is not. And it should not be presented for sale as such.

As far as "certain professional applications" - They never go into what those would be. I would doubt it would hold up the the rigors of a professional journalist. I've know scores of professional photographers, and they all rely upon their equipment to get the shot - every time, in every type of environment imaginable. Tell me how the pentax hold up in 20,000 + shots out in the environment and then we can talk about it being a professional tool. It's also missing important professional feature (pc sync cord connector for example) 4000th of a second shutter speed is nice though.

I wish the seller good luck and hopes he has a bidding war over it!

Lock this discussion any time you want. You are right - this does belong in the coffee room.

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by gabedad
                          But to call it a "Pro Digital SLR" - That it is not. And it should not be presented for sale as such.
                          But this isn't a case of a seller offering a portable table saw as a cabinet saw. This is a much finer line that involves a substantial amount of personal opinion. The implication is that the original poster is somehow trying to pull the wool over our eyes. To climb all over his posting is, IMHO, uncalled for.

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by cgallery
                            But this isn't a case of a seller offering a portable table saw as a cabinet saw. This is a much finer line that involves a substantial amount of personal opinion. The implication is that the original poster is somehow trying to pull the wool over our eyes. To climb all over his posting is, IMHO, uncalled for.
                            Well said. Furthermore anyone who thinks they can get a professional, digital, slr camera with two lenses for $485 hasn't lived on the planet long enough. If you don't want the camera don't buy it but the seller has a right to put it up for sale for whatever price he can get for it.
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

• Crash2510
                              • Feb 2006
                              • North Central Ohio

I think that it would be in the best interest of everyone on the forum to reserve member classifieds to 4 types of posts

1)the item for sale
                              2)other peoples positive comments about the product
                              3)questions
                              4)and inquiries into the sale of the item

any other opinions or "problems" could be better addressed in other parts of this site

ie around the coffee pot and tool talk etc.

just my .02
                              Phil In Ohio
                              The basement woodworker

Comment

Working...