• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Kitchen remodel-countertops done...mostly

The last major hurdle in my never ending kitchen remodel was installing the countertops. We would have loved to do granite but didn't want to shell out the money and we figured if we went that route, then the kitchen should have been expanded. So we went with IKEA Numerar countertops. We bought them over 1 1/2 years ago--IKEA doesn't even sell them anymore--and they've just been standing up in my shop. I knew once I started, we'd have no kitchen. I also didn't want the kids underfoot all the time so the kids have been at my parents since after Christmas.

I had a conundrum about how to go about it, but with no kids and a ton of Christmas leftovers, we've been OK without the sink.

Every once in a while we have to come out of the shop and fix something on the Honey-do list. This is a place we can discuss those projects.

I added dye to General Finishes Enduro-Var and sprayed it on the tops over several days. Then I measured, measured, measured, and finally made the cuts with my Dewalt track saw. If you follow the other link, my main concern was how to deal with the counter to counter joint. There's a slight roundover on the edges which would mean there would be a valley between two tops. So I decided to rip off a little of the edge and miter a tiny bit of the corner. The track saw did a good job, but I still had to finish the cut with a Japanese pull saw.

The joints came out OK. I probably should have skipped the smear of silicone sealant on the raw edges.

Even though these tops are made in a factory, they aren't very level and they aren't even the same thickness. Anyway, I wanted the tops to be level (or close to it) and I also wanted to mechanically secure them without glue so I used my Domino for alignment and I made a jig to route slots for countertop bolts. Since the sink top is captured by another countertop on the left and a short wall on the right, I had to elevate the sink top and then join the tops with Dominoes (no glue) and bolts from the bottom. Luckily my wife could help, but these 8' long tops still weigh nearly 100lbs each. When we slid the assembled tops back in place, my lower back felt like it was an inch away from giving out. I'm glad it lasted that long. This was the most physically demanding project I've ever worked on.

I bought an apron sink on Woot a while ago. I had to modify the existing sink base to make it fit but because it's not self rimming on the sides, I had to pay particular close attention to detail. This is the old sink. I reused the disposal and the faucet. We went from two drains to one. I was able to reuse a bunch of the old fittings. Notice how the old integrated backsplash covers the bottom 3-4" of the windows. I still have no idea why the original building did it this way. The new counter top is slightly below the window sill. I will make a small molding to bridge that gap, but I like my increased view. You can also imagine how dirty the bottom of the windows got.

Reinstalling the old faucet was tricky. There's very little clearance between the wall and the new sink. The whole assembly barely fit. I also cleaned up the saw marks on the sink cutout with a router bit. It's nice and smooth now. In hindsight I should have just ripped off the whole 1/8" leading edge and not worried about that tiny little miter. There is plenty of overhang on these new tops. Oh well. I'm also being a little a**l retentive about the joints. Even with the dominoes, the edges aren't exactly flush. I've decided to sand the two tops flush and refinish them in place using a brush or a pad.

Anyway, the kitchen isn't done but the hardest part is over. Now it's finishing touches (and a few more drawer fronts) and I can call it done!

Paul
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Your kitchen looks great. I love the square sink. The countertops go so well
    with the cabinets...I prefer the straight edges
    on the countertop that you did, ( especially with the shaker style cabinets and the square sink)
    Also, the color of the counter matches the floor very well.

Yes, I would resand that edge, however you do need to silicone those two edges. ( I think you said
    you probality shouldn't have) How many coats of poly do you have on those counters? We just did
    our bathroom counter with five coats of poly...three before instillation and two after instillation.

Another thing I like about your kitchen (beside the timeless look of the shaker style cabs)
    is that a backsplash is not necessary. All you need to do
    is keep a little paint on hand for touch ups. Good luck with the rest of the renovation and
    post more pics of your continued progress.

Joann

Comment

• EarlinePassmore
      Handtools only
      • Nov 2016

Your kitchen looks really beautiful. Cabinets are also very elegant. Have you install cabinet lights?

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by EarlinePassmore
        Your kitchen looks really beautiful. Cabinets are also very elegant. Have you install cabinet lights?
        Thank you.

Yes. Can you see the cord on the left wall that goes to the cabinet bottom? That powers the IKEA undercabinet lights. I really like the lights. Most of the late night snacking happens on that counter but the overhead kitchen lights are on the opposite wall. It's convenient to reach underneath the counter and just turn these lights on.

I have an embarrassing admission. Nearly a year later, the kitchen looks pretty much like it does in that final pic. I just installed the beadboard on the left wall and I need to finish that off with trim. The trim is painted, just not cut to size. I also just finished painting the doors for the sink cabinet as well as other cabinets. They just need to be installed. The window around the sink needs to be trimmed out, too. Maybe I'll finish by Christmas.

I was most concerned about the wood around the sink. It's still holding up well. The area that gets the most beating is underneath the faucet handle. Water from wet hands just drips and pools there. I am good about wiping up now. I do regret getting such a deep sink, though. It does put strain on my back if I have to wash a lot of pots. I'm 6'1".

Finally, the corner I spent so much time fretting over has a big gap at the tiny miter. I'm guessing the countertop shrunk and the gap opened up. I have an idea on how to draw them back together.

Comment

Working...