• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Advice on water sealing basement leak

Our home is about 13 years old, and we've been here about 3 years. The basement walls are poured concrete. We've been having a leak at the water supply penetration, which is at the front of the house, about 3.5 feet below grade. The ground immediately around the front of the house slopes away from the problem area for 8 feet or so, but the general terrain (which we can't change much) slopes toward the house.

The leak has been present at least as long as we've owned the home. The first time we had a leak, I noticed that the gutter downspouts were dumping rainwater above the problem area, so I made the downspouts run into drainage pipe, dug a trench, and ran the drain pipe into the woods. That solved most of the problem for most rains.

3 months ago, our water line broke just outside the house (3/4" PVC). So, while I dug it up to repair, I cleaned the wall and packed hydraulic cement around the pipe penetration on the outside. This seemed to solve the remainder of the problem - until Sunday.

The past 2 weeks, we've had a TON of rain. The wall penetration had about 25 gallons of water come through it in just over 24 hours. Fortunately, I had an improvised funnel mounted to the wall under the penetration feeding a 5 gallon bucket. Unfortunately, 6 gallons had come in before I discovered the leak had returned (but nothing damaged). Swapped and dumped buckets for the rest of the water.

Anyway, the wall penetration is about 3.25" in diameter, the .75" PVC goes through near the center and some hard black sealant material fills the gap. The wall thickness is probably about 8". I'm not sure what the black sealant material is and I'm not sure what the best way to seal the penetration is. I'm fine with digging up the outside.

Any advice on what to use or tips? Thank you!
    Bill
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

I had an issue years ago but in a sub-level living area. I don't recall the vendor but I got this kit that first you epoxy these nozzles to the face of the crack about 6" apart. Once that dried you injected an epoxy (can't remember if it was two part) starting at the bottom. I remember the stuff reminded me of Gorilla Glue - thing the glue reacted to water. I think this is the stuff pros uses. My sealed crack has been leakless for about 6-years now.

Mike

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Was this the stuff? http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/h..._leak_kit.html

I was leaning that way, but haven't heard anything about that product from anyone who used it.

When you fixed your problem, did you do both sides of the wall, or just the interior?

Thanks for the reply.
      Bill

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

OP, we had the same issue as you. Poured concrete basement walls that leaked during heavy rains where the supply pipe entered. It happened just twice to us in 8 years, though. Luckily my drainage issues weren't as severe as yours, but that was the solution. Fix the drainage issue outside. In addition to redirecting downspouts, when I installed the paver patio, I sloped it away from the house.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

living in southwest Colorado, I generally don't have rain problems - but I did have similar issues in Wisconsin.

My problem was similar --- water coming in during heavy rains.

Eventually called in an engineer - who prescribed a drain tile and sump pump.

Comment

• MBG
            • Apr 2003
            • Chicago, Illinois.
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by os1kne
            Was this the stuff? http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/h..._leak_kit.html

I was leaning that way, but haven't heard anything about that product from anyone who used it.

When you fixed your problem, did you do both sides of the wall, or just the interior?

Thanks for the reply.
            That's it

Comment

Working...