• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

gas grill rehab

I recently replaced the rusted burners and flame arrestor bars on my gas grill. It's a 4 burner. There used to be a piece of angled sheet metal that laid on top of the burners at the rear. I'm pretty sure it was used to channel propane from burner to burner so you woudln't have to light each burner individually--just the starter burner.

Anyway, that piece was toast and I don't have a replacement so I have been lighting each burner individually--kind of a pain. I do have aluminum angle iron that I could lay on top of the burners in the same spot to channel the gas.

1) Is it safe to burn aluminum in the presence of food? I know pots and pans are made of Al, but usually they're clad in stainless so they don't react with the food. People also cook on foil on the grill (I have). Are there bad fumes if you burn aluminum? I'm not seeing anything in Google that indicates there are.

2) Will I prematurely corrode the new stainless burners if they are in contact with the aluminum bar (or vice versa)?

I suppose I could buy some steel angle, too, but I've already got the aluminum.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I'd use the aluminum and not worry. Non-coated aluminum has been used for cookware for a long time. Lots of commercial pots and pans are aluminum. That said the aluminum may warp.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Hmm, I'm not sure that you can make that assumption, BW. Cookware temps are waaay down the heat scale from the baffle laying very near the burners. I'm not sure where you would go find out where the temp range is which would cause oxidation of the aluminum. Wish I could be more help.
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

Working...