• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
    I was thinking the reason he may suggest not to use the top step even with the deck is because of hand rail consistency. You would have to jog it out and then down to maintain a particular height and angle above each tread.
    I think that is it and that is the way I will make them for my daughter. She does want a handrail, made with the spindles that are in the section that I will take out out of the current deck for the steps.

You guys are giving me something to think about. The pre-made steps are consistent except the bottom step, which height can be made totally negligble by adding a small ground level deck. I measured the stingers at HD before purchasing them and they are consistent except the bottom step.

As it is, the stringers would come in at the 26 inch height on the side of the 30 inch deck to be level, the steps are 6 3/4 height except the bottom which is 6 inches. I can cut 2 3/4 inches off of the bottom step to drop the top step to be the same height as the the others. By cutting the bottom (ground contact area) down by 2 3/4 inches, that makes the bottom step a ground height of 3 1/4, - which puts it within 1/4 inch height of a small ground deck made of 2 x 4 decking and I can take care of that 1/4 inch. (By cutting the bottom of the stinger, I will need to re-inforce that portion of the bottom step.)

The deck is frame is made with 2x8. I would have to add vertical supports at the stringer attachment area as the stringer would only have an effectively about 1 inch on the deck frame with the above situation.
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Simpliest connection method is probably a 4x4 post lagged to both the 2x8 band beam and the stringers. Depending on the climate, it could sit on a block on the round or be set in concrete. It could also be on the outside and support the hand rail.

Jim

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JimD
        Simpliest connection method is probably a 4x4 post lagged to both the 2x8 band beam and the stringers. Depending on the climate, it could sit on a block on the round or be set in concrete. It could also be on the outside and support the hand rail.

Jim
        Good idea. I was thinking of the 2x8 band beam
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...