• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Constructing A Shelter-Need Ideas

I have two bahama aluminum awnings (clamshell) like this...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	clam-shell.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	798227
    They are about 9' long, and about 4' from the hinge to the edge. They both have a continuous hinge which is a tube that slips inside a shroud. It works like a piano hinge.

What I want to do is bolt the two hinges together, spread out the two awnings like a pitched roof, so it would be a roof about 8' wide and about 9' long. Waterproofing the joint area of the two hinges will be with an angled vent cover that's about 12" wide. It's a composite. Same type of roofing material I used on my shed, from Ondura. I need to create end rails of sort to brace the two awnings at the angle I want. I would also need to support it with 4 vertical supports. Those could be poles or tubes of some sort. The four supports would need to be secured to a concrete patio.

Some of the details that I want to consider are that I'm intending it to be an outdoor cover for our gas grill (which is on wheels). In the event of a hurricane, and I need to use my generator, to move the grill inside, and place the generator under the shelter.

As for installation details, the setup would be at the edge of the patio, with one side of the 9' length at the edge, and the 8' width projecting inboard to the patio. I would prefer some type of minimal surface hardware at the base of the supports. I know I could just use red heads and "L" brackets, but maybe there is a better way.

• cabinetman
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

No suggestions?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Mike,
      I think I can visualize your concept - but I'm not clear on how you plan to provide the rigidity to the joint between the two halves so the weight of the roof doesn't push the joint downward and force the verticals apart, possibly tweaking or destroying the ground anchors.

If you were considering square tube stock for the verticals, perhaps you may also be considering mounting cross-pieces at the tops to provide the lateral strength, if needed? Also, how mobile do you want this to be - would large umbrella bases (the cement type) be enough to keep this anchored?
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
        Mike,
        I think I can visualize your concept - but I'm not clear on how you plan to provide the rigidity to the joint between the two halves so the weight of the roof doesn't push the joint downward and force the verticals apart, possibly tweaking or destroying the ground anchors.

If you were considering square tube stock for the verticals, perhaps you may also be considering mounting cross-pieces at the tops to provide the lateral strength, if needed? Also, how mobile do you want this to be - would large umbrella bases (the cement type) be enough to keep this anchored?
        Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that once the two hinges are bolted together, it would be a rigid pivot axis for both awnings. If I made some sort of cross brace at the ends to hold the spread to a certain distance, that might provide enough angle to the awnings to keep from collapsing.

If I did that, I would like them to be removable, so if I had to take the structure down, I could just fold the two halves together, and store it (in case of a hurricane). Using it over the generator would be my liking after the winds died down, and we're out of power.

As for the vertical supports, I'm open for suggestions. I would prefer not wood (as in 4x4's) due to weight, and rotting. Maybe some aluminum tubing of some sort. If I have to live with some surface mounted connectors, that would be a consideration. Actually, I would like an easy up, and easy down if possible.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Box aluminum is strong and light, that is what I would use if it were me. No corrosion issues either.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Hows about a coupla piano hinges at the top and like they said the box aluminum for strength along the frame and supports ,http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...inuous+Hinges/ ,http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HBY9LG/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

If the aluminum doesn't meet your spec, may look at something like these to fab posts and cross-bracing.
              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UTI8PTA4SSo
              http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UTI8ajA4SSo
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...