Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Adding external lights to back porch

Finally I get some time to get to this!

I have been wanting to add two external lamps to the back porch wall. I tried going contractor on this but got burnt, so am pondering over doing it myself. I have not done much electric stuff other than install all my ceiling fans and/or replace/install their wall switches. This seems simple at that same level. Looking for advice on how to proceed, material to acquire and any gotchas.

The wall one side already has a power outlet installed, so I am hoping I could leverage that to take a line out as shown along the red line :

The other lamp will be on the right side wall (ie, right of the covered porch part), and here the outlet is inside the living room and I'd have to dig a hole from the outside wall. How easy/difficult is that?

Last edited by radhak; 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

How much light do you need, You might consider a low voltage unit thats usually made for exterior landscape lighting, but could easily light up those exterior walls or possibly be mounted to an existing wall and the transformer would simply plug into your existing outlet and the wiring is very small and could be slid underneath those patio tiles possibly, just a thought,Tommyt
    Last edited by tommyt654; 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I think the way to do that properly involves opening the interior walls and roughing in the new wiring from those two outlets over the to the spaces between the studs where those new lamps will go. From that point it's easy to run the wire up the wall to the switch and lamp.

I know that sounds like a major fuss, but once you get your mind around it you'll find it's not that bad. This presumes the interior wall is drywall with a fairly standard surface, and that you have, or can get, matching paint.

If your cuts to take out the interior drywall are straight it is very easy to install a patch that you'd be hard pressed to see.

JR
      JR

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I should clarify - I don't want a plug-in solution, but rather a more 'permanent' one, built in.

At the same time, I was thinking wiring on the outside and not inside the walls. Something that involves the wires enclosed in a pvc pipe (say) 1" in diameter or something. I'd plan on painting the pvc the same color as the wall.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Perhaps your not as familiar with transformer use as I am and that might lead you to believe its not a permanent solution because it simply plugs into an existing outlet.I can assure you its merely a more convienant way to transform reg 110 v electricity to a lower power for use yet can provide the same amount of lighting as conventional. I had when I was landscaping, hardscaped several homes using transformers to light up existing patios and pathways as well as trees and the like and to my knowledge those units are still working and have not needed to be replaced as most are on either timers or cells that turn it on at dusk. For the most part the wiring in general is no thicker than a coat hanger and easily hidden or buried. I do know factually the last time I saw one of my jobs was about 2 yrs ago and I had the job done over 10 yrs before that and it was still on the same transformer ,so durability is not a problem and cost can be considering that you only want 2 lights as low as $100-200 depending on how bright you want them, since you want to mount the wiring externally you might reconsider this form of exterior lighting as it should be considered permanent if you mount the fixtures to the home as a fixture rather than in the ground,just a suggestion.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I would run both lights off the one receptacle there that you already have in that case.
            No need for conduit down both sides. Extend the box you have outward to a surface mount. Then you can run conduit out of that. Run across the ceiling right behind the beam.
            You can mount a remote wireless switch inside so it can be operated manually regardless of the type of lights you use. That can be very handy.
            You would still retain your duplex exterior receptacle and it would not look bad really. They also sell flat wire molding that might look nicer as well, but that will cost a good bit more.
            Lee

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

Except for the possible aesthetics it is usually acceptable to run the wires in some type of UL approved conduit on the surface of your outside wall. The trick in this case is to connect to the exist wiring which should be done through appropriate conduit fittings so that wire is not exposed to potential damage. This requirement goes away with low voltage mentioned above.

It looks like you would have access through the crawl space above your ceiling. I would think it would be fairly easy to cut a hole through from the exterior to mount a box and fish a wire down from the crawl space. This avoids unsightly exterior pipe (doesn't bother me but it does some people) and trying to figure out how to connect to existing wiring in the walls properly.

I would look at LED Wall Paks. If you get them from a reputable manufacturer they will probably never need the lamps replaced and they are extremely economical to run.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• jdon
                Established Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                • BT3100

Stringing cable across finished/enclosed walls is a bear; it's usually easier to take a longer route by going either down (crawl space or basement), or up (attic), and going across unfinished space, and then threading cable up (or down) through sole or top plates where you want to hang the lamp.

Assuming you're on a slab, down is not an option; attic looks pretty tight at the corner, but might be accessible. One route to consider is behind baseboards in interior wall.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I know you want to DIY, but, a licensed electrician might be the best way to go. He would (or should) know local codes, and will likely have experience which is the best way to do the install. If you are in a HOA, they may require an electrician, and so might your homeowners insurance if your place starts on fire. You might also check if you need a permit...it's better to have one than get caught without one.

And, as we know, there's always some neighbor that takes note of every movement in the neighborhood.

Comment

• Rslaugh
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                    • Ridgid

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    .... They also sell flat wire molding that might look nicer as well, but that will cost a good bit more.
                    WireMold is generally used for indoor applications. I'm not sure it's approved for exterior work. You'd have to check.

As far as wireless switches check out the Leviton units. There a little more expensive but work off of kinetic energy so no batteries are involved.
                    Rick
                    IG: @rslaugh_photography
                    A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                    And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                    ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

LOL. Radhak, is this a concrete wall?
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sorry - I can't get to this site from work.

Yes, the wall is concrete, hence wanting to keep it on the surface. I do like the idea of running both lights off the one receptacle that I already have.

Frankly, I don't see external wiring as very ugly. I've seen that in places and if done neatly it just melds with the background wall. I was thinking of adding a wall mounted on/off switch; the wireless remote is a neat idea.

I am thinking I might also take a second option from another contractor; cabman's nod to the insurance issues makes sense.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Back to back boxes in block wall are pretty common and if done correctly, non will be the wiser. I think you should consider this as a way to pull power to your new location.
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...