• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Weed Whackers

I posted this thread about 5 years ago. I still haven't decided on what to do. The thing is that I'm still using a corded "Weed Eater" brand that I bought in 1995, and it just won't die. The corded part is a PITA, and it seems so easy to just pick up a trimmer and use it...no cord, no gas engine.

For sure I would get two batteries, and their ad offers lifetime string supply. Anybody here have the Worx GT brand?

• tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

I have no personal knowledge,but an older friend of mine recently bought one after talking to me about it. I did a little research and saw it met his needs, lightweight, easy to use ,balanced and rechargable, I just got off the phone after seeing your post and he seems very satisfied with his and use's it mainly for edging his driveway ( a fairly long one) and light trimming. Its does all he needs on a single charge and says it functions as needed so far,No Complaints other than large weeds take a little more effort due to line size. I think he's using the same size line that came with it still, perhaps when he use's that up he'll try a thicker line if possible, hope this helps

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have about 300 feet on the street to edge and two driveways. I've never tried a cordless but I don't think it would work for me. I use a 2 cycle weedeater that has a single line I reload myself and a head that you can turn up at right angle for trimming. It works well. I've never done anything to the engine and it is at least 5 years old. I have several tools with little 2 cycle motors and don't have issues. I typically do not put in stabilizer or anything but they still run fine. I have 50:1 gas on-hand for my boat so gas is not an issue.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
        I have no personal knowledge,but an older friend of mine recently bought one after talking to me about it. I did a little research and saw it met his needs, lightweight, easy to use ,balanced and rechargable, I just got off the phone after seeing your post and he seems very satisfied with his and use's it mainly for edging his driveway ( a fairly long one) and light trimming. Its does all he needs on a single charge and says it functions as needed so far,No Complaints other than large weeds take a little more effort due to line size. I think he's using the same size line that came with it still, perhaps when he use's that up he'll try a thicker line if possible, hope this helps
        Thanks for the reply and for making the call. If you get a chance to talk with him again ask, if you will, how long a charge takes.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

He said that he never runs it so low that it needs recharging.When he puts it back on the charger its good to go in 30 mins or less. I used to take care of his yard and the driveway and curb are maybe 50 yrds of edging,so what he says makes sense. Don't know if you have any Ryobi 18v tools but heres a link that if you look to the far right of the add you can get a refurbed edger without the batt for $40 if you happen to like Ryobi 18v tools, personally I find they discharge way to fast,buit here's the link in case your interested, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1..._0_0_0&cj=true , hope that helps, he seems pretty satisfied with the Worx tool tho

Comment

Working...