• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Kitchen Drain...UGH

P-trap started leaking this morning. My wife offered to pick up parts today-- Ace clerk handed her an 1 1/4" lav kit instead of 1 1/2" j bend. Got home from work saw it, jumped back in the car and swapped for the only brass j bend they had left. Didn't notice the drain side was phlanged and i needed male on both ends. Back again, bought plastic (have not had good luck with threaded plastic).

Back home...finally on my knees in front of the sink. After working back to back drag races jumping the wall at 660 or 1,000 feet--and missing several times--quickly remembered how bruised up my knees are (not to mention that my pedometer credited me with just over 105,000 steps or 59 miles in 4 days). Reassembly as smooth and clean as i'd ever put together plastic threads. No leaks.

Then...a very slow drip near the crossover elbow. Pinhole in the brass. Whole thing needs to be redone and i'm whooped. So...i'm trying Gorilla Glue and teflon tape to give my legs a chance to rest. Not looking forward to this--over 40 years ago we put a man on the moon and it still takes 138 joints secured with fine brass threads or popping plastic to drain water from a kitchen sink. Grrrrrrrr....

Plumbers are special people--patience of a saint and they can accomplish what looks so simple but truly is not.

earl
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2
    Plumbers are special people--patience of a saint and they can accomplish what looks so simple but truly is not.

earl
    Actually it is if you do it every day...woodworking is like that too.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

I have a friend who swears by a product from Rustoleum. Essentially liquid rubber in a spray can.
      He says he used it on a leaking pipe 2 years ago and it's still holding.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

The Gorilla Glue/teflon tape sealed it up well enough so that LOML could have her kitchen back until i can knell again--tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks!!
        Earl

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by cabinetman
          Actually it is if you do it every day...woodworking is like that too.
          That helps greatly, sure, but having a van outside with all the usual and some not so usual parts (rather than having to drive to the hardware store 3 times) makes a big difference too!

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

What is it about home projects? Every time I start one LOML asks how many trips to the hardware store it's going to take.

I never guess right.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch
              What is it about home projects? Every time I start one LOML asks how many trips to the hardware store it's going to take.

I never guess right.
              But after years of trips to the hardware store, you have built up an inventory of unused plumbing parts that can become invaluable.

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                But after years of trips to the hardware store, you have built up an inventory of unused plumbing parts that can become invaluable.

Oh i've got inventory--just never what i need!! Maybe that's why they are spares????

Comment

• jseklund
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2006

LOL- plumbing is my worst skill around the house. I have become passable at soldering, but it's not as clean as some of the people I know who do it a every day.

Everything becomes easy with practice...I agree with that. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that practice when we need it most - a leaky pipe! haha.
                  F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by BobSch

I never guess right.
                    Mine asks how long and then multiplies by 6. She multiplies the $$ estimate by 10. She's hardly ever wrong.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Big box stores have great return policy. When I have a pluming task I go to the big box store and buy every part that I can possibly use for this connection. After the job is done - everything still unopened goes back. This way I know exactly how many trips to the story the job takes - 2 trips regardless what the job is. One before and one after.
                      Alex V

Comment

• greenacres2
                        • Dec 2011
                        • La Porte, IN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

That's a good strategy!! The glue patch is holding nicely enough that the panic is gone and i can wait until at least the weekend to freshen it all up. Or...i'll buy all the parts and wait it out!!

earl

Comment

Working...