• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jseklund
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006

Closing in on the remodel

Ok,
    I've finally finished taking things apart and I am now in the process of putting thing back together on my 1880's house renovation project. I've just about got the walls up on everytyhing, should have the last ceiling up tonight and the flooring is down and secure (subfloors - not finished carpet/tile/etc. yet).

I'm beginning to look at kitchen cabinets, which is one thing I've yet to ever do. I've installed bathroom cabinets, but never kitchen cabinets, and the layout is a little more complex in a kitchen, but seems simple enough.

I'm looking to put a lazy susan in one corner - but I'm a little confused about what problems I may not be anticipating. My search so far has been limited to Lowes and Home Depot, since they are convenient for me - but I've noticed the 36" lazy susan is really smaller and I have read that they need to be set away from the wall about 7-9" depending on the cabinet.

I also realize that the lazy susan cabinets at home depot have unfinished sides, which will create an additional problem for me since the corner is going to have cabinets butting up against one side of this lazy susan and a stove on the second side (so I think it would be best to have a finished side there).

This is an apartment, and money is getting tight, so I'd like to keep expense down and don't need high-end. However, getting something reliable that isn't total junk would be nice too.

What problems should I be anticipating with the LS cabinet? Any other obvious cabinet hanging "gotcha" moments I should be on the lookout for?

Beyond the lazy susan and corner cabinets, I am probably looking at a hanging corner cabinet, 24" base cabinet, a couple hanging cabinets next to the corner cabinet (these all go in the corner next ot the stove), and then on the other side of the kitchen I am thinking a 30" sink base with (2) 12" draw/door cabinets on the sides of that and 1 hanging cabinet (maybe 30-36") centered over the sink. It seems like everything should be basic stud screw and toggle bolt installation except the corners.

Finally, any place else I should look for cabinets? Does anyone have any experience with the ready-to-assemble cabinets you can order online? Since I'm not ordering 20 cabinets, I was thinking these may be an option....

Thanks again for all the help guys...
    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Not much help here, but a friend bought cabinets from Ikea that he was very happy with. Not high end, but not high end prices either, and a lot of options.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jaybee
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Regina, SK, Canada
      • BT3100-1

+1 on IKEA cabinets. Our kitchen remodel was totally IKEA. The counter top installers seemed surprised to find cabinets that were both square and level. Uppers stayed white and lowers were wife painted blue. We collaborated on the assembly and install.

Comment

• jseklund
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006

Thanks guys!

I will check out Ikea, I had them in the back of my mind, but good to have some positive reviews on them....that's why I had stayed away (fear).

Thanks again!
        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• T...K21
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2012
          • Southern Idaho
          • BT3100

There should be a matching end paneling available for the LS cabinet you choose. Just ask the sales rep assigned to cabinets.

You can fill in the back of the cabinet with a little over framing to attach it to the wall if you feel it necessary but by the time you attach it to another cabinet and put the top on it, it's not going anywhere.

Good luck

Comment

Working...