• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

The last couple roofs I did was nailing by hand. In the next few weeks I will be doing another one for myself. This time I have bought a nailing gun from Harbor Freight using 20% off coupon. Total cost was $79.00

I read all the reviews and am satisfied it will be as good as the $250.00 roof nailers. You may want to consider doing it this way and save yourself some time. They also sell the coil nails at a decent price.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• billwmeyer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Weir, Ks, USA.
      • BT3000

I have used that Harbor Freight roofing nailer and had no problems with it. It saved me a lot of time.
      Bill
      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Our roof is going to need replacing in a couple of years (assuming no big storms) and SHMBO said I wouldn't be going up there.

I didn't argue.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by BobSch
          Our roof is going to need replacing in a couple of years (assuming no big storms) and SHMBO said I wouldn't be going up there.
          I wish I could get my wife to do the roof climbing for me You must have a very special wife for her to say "no, let me do it"
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• T...K21
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2012
            • Southern Idaho
            • BT3100

One of the last houses I helped build was a 2 story and had an 8/12 with a cold roof and boston.

We didn't have the luxury of a fall arrest anchor. We did however back our pickups to the opposite side of the house we were shingling, tied our lines for our harnesses to the hitch,and nailed "chicken sticks" horizontally to the roof every 3 1/2' to 4'.

Good luck, stay safe

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by T...K21
              One of the last houses I helped build was a 2 story and had an 8/12 with a cold roof and boston.

We didn't have the luxury of a fall arrest anchor. We did however back our pickups to the opposite side of the house we were shingling, tied our lines for our harnesses to the hitch,and nailed "chicken sticks" horizontally to the roof every 3 1/2' to 4'.

Good luck, stay safe
              I did not realize these are called "chicken sticks". My garage is 2 story with a 12/12 pitch. When we nailed on the shingles we used 2x4s every 4-5 ft. horizonally across the roof. They made an impossible job possible.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• T...K21
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2012
                • Southern Idaho
                • BT3100

That's what we called them in my area. But you're right...just 2x nailed horizontally. Comes in handy as a step but also somewhere to keep a bundle if shingles from sliding off.

Comment

Working...