X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Ouch, even with gloves on

Gardens in, dang my hands are sore as well as other parts. 2 rows kern, 1 row maters, 1 row squash (zuch and yaller), 1 row bean(bush), 1 row beans(pole) , 1 row cukes (pickle and salad) room for another 2 rows for second season crops, everyone else got yours in yet?
    Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Nice sized garden. You must have driven that tractor pretty hard to get those blisters.

We haven't been out of frost danger here, so, all I have in are cool weather stuff. Peas, lettuce, carrots & radishes.

I still have the following to put in: tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, butternut squash, & sweet corn. I'm still a few weeks away for putting tomatoes & peppers in the ground.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Last frost for is supposedly April 15th, feeling fairly confident we'll be OK considering it been in the 80's all week here, Tractor wasn't causin the blisters,hoeing most definetely did me in, just haven't used one in a while,now to get some mulch to apply to it all,now where's that number to my tree guy at

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Tommy,
        As my mama used to say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Mama was wise, But I had thought the gloves would at least help, problem was it was hot, I was ready to be done and working at a feverish pace, prolly could have slowed down an taken my time and avoided the blisters but its been a while since I was on the backside of a garden tool for any length of time, not whining just forgot what it was like, really feel fine today,more energetic the past few days ,must be the great weather and being outdoors more than usual lately,something I was much more used to several yrs ago, prolly go fishin in the mornin as we have a front movin in

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Got mine in yet? LOL, I already have baby cukes growing, not saplings mind you, but actual cucumbers, small with the flower still attached at the end. Beans and tomatoes are in and doing well also. Nice tractor :-) I grow out of a raised 4x4 bed, but have given thought to converting more of the side yard into a proper garden...who know, with the way things are going, might be a good idea to grow your own food!
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I am putting in a small garden for only the second time in the last 28 years! I had a dozen tomato plants one year in Japan and they did great, but other than that, I have missed out on gardens. I started a garden last year, but the 100° heat started in early June and all but stunted the plants. Too much heat too early. I didn't have and West Texas plants, so they just wilted, even with plenty of water!

This year, I have two raised beds, each 6 ft by 12 ft., soaker hoses in place and filled with some fine fertile soil.

Early garden plants:
              That said, in my gardens here (before going to Japan), I always put in a few plants or seeds early just in case it did not freeze. Back in the late '70s in FT Worth, Tx, I put out half a dozen tomato plants on March 1 and had tomatoes a couple of days before June (and they were not early tomatoes). IF they freeze, I have lost a few plants, if not, I'm Off to an early start.

This year I started on March 1 here in N. MS, and LOML and I have been eating different varieties of lettuce, radishes, onions for over a week now. I have some small tomatoes on three plants already.

I have some onions that I have not seen outside of Texas 30 years ago. They are called "walking onions" or "Egyptian onions." I ordered some bulbs last year, and while they grew, they did not multiply. I did not eat them and kept them in the ground over winter. NOW, they are multiplying and I am ready to plant the little onion bulbs as soon as they fall off.

A couple of weeks ago, I got me a "rolling seat" to work around the raised beds. I am finally enjoying a garden, albeit small!
              Last edited by leehljp; 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Got mine in yet? LOL, I already have baby cukes growing, not saplings mind you, but actual cucumbers, small with the flower still attached at the end. Beans and tomatoes are in and doing well also. Nice tractor :-) I grow out of a raised 4x4 bed, but have given thought to converting more of the side yard into a proper garden...who know, with the way things are going, might be a good idea to grow your own food!
                Yeh,but your prolly 800 miles south of me and we do always have that late threat of a frost here more so than you. Glad to hear others have gotten around to a garden, a point well made about who knows what might happen. The tractors my neighbors, he lent it to me for the day,nice Kubota diesel with a 24 inch dragbar that I was able to use to bust up the ground with after several pass's then I finally switched it out for the tillin attachment. As relatively cheap as tractors are nowadays its on my gotta have one list, tho doubtful I'll but one as nice as his more than likely an old Ford 8n for restoration an plowing as I have a lot more yard to use (maybe a bigger garden next yr). Its only a 1st yr garden, with a tractor next yr I can ammend the soil better for a larger garden next yr, gotta get ready to head to the pond( Lake Allatoona) and dround some worms, chat ya'll later,Good luck everyone with your gardens

Comment

• Shep
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Columbus, OH
                  • Hitachi C10FL

We started seeds a couple weeks ago indoors. Still too cool to plant outside. Should be ready in a couple weeks.
                  -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

Working...