X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Scott's Snap system

I've seen this advertised, and in the stores for a little bit now. Today is the last day of a deal at HD, buy two bags and get the spreader free. Seeing as I've never done anything to my lawn for the previous three years except mow it until a few weeks ago (put in a mulch bed around my mailbox), I thought I might try this thing out.

I bought a bag of insect control (ants everywhere) and weed n feed. I'll let you know what I think of it after awhile, but thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who wanted to still get in on this deal.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I've seen the TV commercials too and wondered about the cost factor of this system. I've been using a broadcast type spreader for years without any type of difficulty whatsoever and I don't see any advantage that this system offers over what I do now. The upside for me is I can use whatever brand of lawn food/fertilizer/weed&feed that I want while the Scotts spreader is limited to using only their special bags. Quite honestly, although I don't know enough to positively say for sure that it would be more expensive to use the Scotts, I really think it's a gimmick that will cost more money to use than one will receive in benefits from using it.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sweensdv
      I've seen the TV commercials too and wondered about the cost factor of this system. I've been using a broadcast type spreader for years without any type of difficulty whatsoever and I don't see any advantage that this system offers over what I do now. The upside for me is I can use whatever brand of lawn food/fertilizer/weed&feed that I want while the Scotts spreader is limited to using only their special bags. Quite honestly, although I don't know enough to positively say for sure that it would be more expensive to use the Scotts, I really think it's a gimmick that will cost more money to use than one will receive in benefits from using it.
      Ditto, just a gimmick locking you in to overpriced fertilizer which like oil has been going up in price the last few yrs, Its ridiculous what they are charging for a bag of 10-10-10 nowadays about the only thing I have readily used as it works on everything, Weeds,just preemerge properly and no issues.Also FWIW,These spreaders from what I saw have no real rate adjustment like other spreaders seems to be limited to the bag you purchase, Once you buy it your stuck using that product in that spreader unless you buy another type of spreader, Scotts products are OK, but I get most of my stuff from TSC instead as they seem geared towards larger yrds and farm products and the ratios in certain chemicals applications are geared more towards the professional rather than homeowner. These will work fine for a small yard so might be just the thing for Chris and his yard, but down the line its geared toward product sales which in this market could prove more expensive in the long run.
      Last edited by tommyt654; 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Possibly. However I didn't have anything before so it was worth a shot to try it out. At under $40 for everything, I thought it was worth the gamble.

I think that someone might come along and make a resealable bag for it, to use whatever you want. With no outside storage currently, it's small enough to stow away unlike a big spreader. When I get my mower/tractor, I can look at things differently.
        Last edited by Cochese; 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Prolly work fine for you Chris,make sure you read the instructions and apply properly, with the rain coming in later today and this week you'll need to make sure when to apply,most weed and feeds are done when the grass is slightly wet to ensure the product sticks to the weeds to furthur their usage. Don't know what your product says as they can differ immensly, just a heads up. Good luck

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Thanks for the support Tommy.

Online has a mistake (again). I ordered three bags of seed for $32. Normally $26 a bag.

Now it's still probably not as good a deal otherwise (21# total), but for testing purposes I thought I'd load up.

Comment

• DaveSur
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2007
              • Ooltewah, TN

I bought the spreader and the first application was the Weed and Feed. The feed part works pretty good. The weed part - not so much. The grass is green and healthy. The weeds are also green and healthy.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by DaveSur
                I bought the spreader and the first application was the Weed and Feed. The feed part works pretty good. The weed part - not so much. The grass is green and healthy. The weeds are also green and healthy.

Found a little sticker on the spreader for a survey, and they are supposedly sending me a $20 cash card. For $50, this is starting to look like a decent deal. Even better if I can reuse the bags, which from what I've been reading is that it's the same product as in regular bags.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

i used my last scotts products early last year. never again. waste of money. called a local lawn service mid last summer and now it's their issue. they specify the watering schedule and all we do is cut and trim. hope your experience with scotts is better than mine was.
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Chris, Don't know what seed you got but Fescue is a fall planting grass and will not fair the summer heat until well established and down here even then not too well, Bermuda(not shade tolerant) can be planted now as the soil temps are high enough for proper germination, but unless you have a lot of sunlight you'll need to reconsider it,also Bermuda must be mixed with sand in order to get a proper spread using a regular adjustable spreader(its really fine). If as I suspect you got Fescue,hold off till fall, rent an aerator then or come up and borrow mine and aereate your yard before applying the seed/fert/lime in the fall, say in Sept/Oct, seed will keep for a while and won't germinate unlees it gets wet,so keep it dry in the meantime. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by DaveSur
                      Dave the weed killer part may take a while to begin its noticable effect, give it a chance as it can take as long as 2-3 weeks before you'll see results,also did you apply it while the grass was damp or dry, sometimes and in most case's with Scotts products I have used they imply you should apply while grass is moist allowing it to stay on the lawn for 24 hrs before watering it in,this allows the chemicals encased in the granuals time to release the weed killer onto the weeds and allow it to effect the weed its on. Consider this if they put a strong herbicide in the bag and it was in such strength that mere contact would kill the weed in most case's it would also kill the grass, most herbicides like 2-4D, Dicamba and the like are not usually used in sufficient strengths in homeowner type applications to warrant a quick kill on your weeds and fertilize at the same time. Give it a while and get back on your results as the other effect is to strengthen the grass to shade out the weed from sunlight to slow the growth, Cut Fescue high and sods low

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by tommyt654
                        Chris, Don't know what seed you got but Fescue is a fall planting grass and will not fair the summer heat until well established and down here even then not too well, Bermuda(not shade tolerant) can be planted now as the soil temps are high enough for proper germination, but unless you have a lot of sunlight you'll need to reconsider it,also Bermuda must be mixed with sand in order to get a proper spread using a regular adjustable spreader(its really fine). If as I suspect you got Fescue,hold off till fall, rent an aerator then or come up and borrow mine and aereate your yard before applying the seed/fert/lime in the fall, say in Sept/Oct, seed will keep for a while and won't germinate unlees it gets wet,so keep it dry in the meantime. Just my 2 cents.
                        Good to know, thanks. Our yard is pretty shady when the trees are full. It is indeed the fescue. I can get an aerator, my parents just did their yard last week.

Comment

Working...