• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Trash can lids

We have to use private trash haulers in our city or take the trash to the dump ourselves. We have plastic trash cans and lids--Rubbermaid. Anyway,
    on windy days or when the hauler isn't careful, our can lid will go in the street and get run over to the point where it's worthless. I should have tied the lids to the can but too late now. Stupid thing is noone sells just trash can lids. It's a package deal.

Anyone make their own lids?
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Out of what material are you thinking of? I really can't see the cost savings in a diy on this one. A new complete assembly and then perhaps some thin galvanized cable to keep the two tied together would seem the cheapest route, IMHO, unless you have something on your mind?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's more a matter of principal to me. I'm trying not to be too much a part of our throw away society. I was thinking plywood with a smaller ring inside to engage the can or plywood with a groove routed in it to sit on the rim. I have scraps.!

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Scraps equals free or better yet less landfill fodder. Good! Things to consider then are thus in my mind:

1. Assuming this will be flat, weatherproofing as the finish will be severely abused including getting scraped on the ground, so a bulletproof waterproof and uv resistant finish is in order.

2. Is this a mechanical arm lift or do men toss the cans? Consideration for the attachment of the lid - mechanical - best to hinge the lid. If by people, then consider their injury if the lid being heavy swings and hits them, perhaps a magnet on the outside to keep in place while they toss the can?

3. Gasket around routed edge to keep lid on fairly tight so that wind/rain/animals don't pose a problem. There should be enough overlap such that rain doesn't enter the can as well.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by chopnhack
          2. Is this a mechanical arm lift or do men toss the cans? Consideration for the attachment of the lid - mechanical - best to hinge the lid. If by people, then consider their injury if the lid being heavy swings and hits them, perhaps a magnet on the outside to keep in place while they toss the can?
          It's not mechanical.

That brings up a good point. I wonder if I could be sued if they hurt themselves using my stuff. Anyway, I plan on cancelling pick up service so this won't matter. It's just little things like this about the company that have been irking me. The dump is just a little out of my way from work and it doesn't cost me any extra to drop off.

I do need to make a good top. I think a raccoon has been raiding my cans at night.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, I don't know Paul, you are a bolder man than I... all I can think of is dirty 3 day old diapers in summer heat... :-)

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by chopnhack
              LOL, I don't know Paul, you are a bolder man than I... all I can think of is dirty 3 day old diapers in summer heat... :-)
              Yeah, that's what my wife said, too. We've got 2 girls in diapers so I definitely have reason to make it to the dump the same day the bin fills up. Also gives us reason to get the older one potty trained ASAP! Watch out if she's been eating blueberries or anything with eggs!

Comment

• Warren
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Anchorage, Ak
                • BT3000

Check your closest Ace store. We used to carry extra Rubbermaid lids. Should also be able to order them for you if not in stock..
                A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• jaybee
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Regina, SK, Canada
                  • BT3100-1

I remember trash can pickups. We tied the lid to the stand with a length of thin chain or wire rope. Never had a complaint from the trash men. This was back when cans were made of metal to protect from roaming dinosaurs.

Comment

Working...