• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Remodeling: architect?

My wife and I are looking into remodeling the back half of our house into a master suite. I'd like to do most of the work, but there are some things I need help with.

Biggest item is the overall design. I just don't have a good idea how to lay out the rooms in the given constraints, and need help from a pro.

Secondly I don't feel comfortable doing the plumbing and tiling without oversight from a pro either. I feel comfortable with electric but have no idea about codes, so a pro is needed here too.

So how do I find the right people? Any tips are welcome.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Gerd, in my experience, the most important part and the part you should spend the most time on is the actual design. Sit with SWMBO and figure out exactly what space you want, for what purpose, what will go where any special requirements like certain size furniture or handicap accessible bathroom, closet size and layout, stuff like that. That will help narrow the focus down abit by giving you requirements to meet.

As for the pro's, luckily for you in this economy you should have no problem finding several professionals to bid on your job. Interview each one, ask the same questions and see how they respond and what other information they add to the conversation. Finding them shouldn't be too much of a challenge, Angie's list, ask your own network of family and friends, co-workers, church members, etc. to see who has work done and by who.

Good luck on your project and post some thoughts, ideas and pics :-)
    Last edited by chopnhack; 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

get an architect you feel comfortable with. i've used the same guy for 3 projects ad wouldn't use anyone else. a good one is very important to a successful project because they can help you anticipate many things you would never think about.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

If you are having difficulty finding someone, you should be able to go to your local government office and look at the permits issued for work to be done.
        Find permits for work similar to what you need and contact the home owner and tell them you need work done and would like to see what thier contractor did and get their opinion of the whole process with him (was he on time, neat, reasonable to work with etc.).
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• CaptRandy
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2011
          • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
          • skil

Check AIA in Phila main office

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, they are much appreciated. When the time comes I'll post updates.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by toolguy1000
              get an architect you feel comfortable with. i've used the same guy for 3 projects ad wouldn't use anyone else. a good one is very important to a successful project because they can help you anticipate many things you would never think about.
              +1. An architect will likely be familiar with all the aspects of the project. In your search for one, he may recommend a GC with a good reputation and a lot of experience in what you are planning. Likewise, if you use a GC, in your search for one, he may have a suggestion for a reputable architect.

Comment

• wardprobst
                • Jan 2006
                • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                • Craftsman 22811

I'd find an architect who has experience with remodels first. Then, I'd look for a plumber and electrician who are masters working with one or two helpers rather than a larger company. The smaller guys are more than happy to let you do the grunt work and come in to do the things they do the best.
                JMO,
                DP
                www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

An architect or designer would be a good call. A lot of jurisdictions don't require a licensed architect for residential. Take a look at some of their floor plan designs, if you don't like the way they feel find someone else. There are some architects and designers out there who haven't got a clue. We get a few clients every year having us redo plans because the first guy just didn't get it. A local architect would be best, they should be more familiar with any zoning regulations, code amendments, city peculiarities, etc.

Get a couple proposals, and tell the architect that you are getting more than one. That will probably help you on the fees. We're all pretty hungry for work right now. Big firms with fancy offices and lots of staff will need bigger fees to cover their overhead.

Be prepared for other consultants; foundation engineering, survey work, energy code inspections, etc. Most jurisdictions require an engineered foundation, even if they don't, I'd want one. You might need some initial lot staking, form board surveys, foundation surveys too. Our city is even requiring some basic MEP drawings for a permit now. We usually get the plumbing and HVAC subs to mark up some base sheets rather than consulting an MEP engineer. A lot of it depends on the jurisdiction and what they require.

Also, just because there might not be enforcement and inspections in place, it doesn't mean that codes don't need to be followed. Many states have blanket laws for unincorporated locations.
                  Erik

Comment

Working...