• Show
Clear All
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

Wood Treatment Suggestions

I have a new utility trailer with a treated pine bed. In order to help it last as long as possible, I am considering treating with a water repellant. I know that Thompson's Water Seal is very heavily advertised, but that usually means it is more expensive than other similar products. Does anyone have any suggestions of a suitable product that I might wish to use. Appearance is not a major factor, but I do not want to use a coating with pigments. Thanks
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I treat the bed of my trailer with Thompson's every spring. After 11 years the bed is in excellent shape and it is exposed to the WI elements 24/7/365. I'm sure there are other products that are just as good but Thompson's has worked for me.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I would use Penofin in clear.

Comment

• thiggy
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Alabama.
        • Craftsman Contractor

Thanks for your suggestions.
        SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Dal300
          Banned
          • Aug 2011
          • East Central Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Remember, you not only have to treat the top, but also the bottom of the boards.

I used thompsons on the top of mine but on the bottom I brush waste motor oil on.

It may not last, but it's been there for almost 12 years of running in the salt belt.

Comment

• thiggy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Alabama.
            • Craftsman Contractor

Follow Up - I went with Thompson's Water Seal and was disappointed to find that it is now a waterborne treatment. It looks like it does not soak in the wood nearly as readily as the Thompson's that I have used in the past, which was a petrolium based sealer. It applies a milky white and dries clear, similar to the way that latex varnishes appear. I have serious doubts that it will be as effective as the former formula.

Comment

• CaptRandy
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2011
              • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
              • skil

When you finally remove the Thompsons, look to Wolmans F $ P or Ready Seal.

Comment

Working...