• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Asbestos Siding

This is simply some helpful info for anyone attempting to cover asbestos siding with vinyl.

I recently purchased an older home with Asbestos siding and wanted to upgrade to a more modern look in order to resell it. The home was built in 1950.

I was told by the inspectors to leave on the old asbestos and simply cover it to avoid dealing with DHEC.

I had many questions concerning nailing vinyl siding over the older siding, etc.
    On Friday I covered one exterior wall with a product called "fanfold". It is 1/4 inch foam insulation that is folded in 2 ft. intervals AND 4FT. WIDE. iT WILL COVER 200 SQ. FT. This process gives you a smooth surface for reinstalling the new siding. The regular roofing nails went thru it and thru the asbestos with no problem. One of my concerns was whether or not the asbestos siding would start cracking and dropping. It did not happen.

I priced the fanfold at Lowes and it was $39.95 per bundle. I then went to another local lumber dealer and got the same product for $28.00 (pays to shop around).
    At any rate the new siding looks great and hopefully will finish in another week or so. So if you want to cover the asbestos, this is the way to go.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
    Conwaygolfer
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

When my old house with asbestos shingles was resided, the siding guys did exactly the same thing. It was safer to leave the old shingles in place and cover them with closed-cell foam insulation and then reside.

I didn't do it myself; we had some tornado/hail damage and homeowner's paid for all of it!

Don't mess with asbestos!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Doesn't the extra thickness cause problems with exterior window and door trim?

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Almost skipped over this thread since I don't have asbestos siding. Glad I didn't. Several years ago I resided my house with 4x8 Masonite panels. Hardi was new on the market and no one, including the insurance companies knew anything about it.

time to redo the outside in the near future and I was considering ripping off the old cellulose insulation panels in favor of foam boards to seal leaks and improve insulation. Sounds like 'Fanfold' might be a better, easier, cheaper, and more eco-friendly way to go.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Pappy
          Almost skipped over this thread since I don't have asbestos siding. Glad I didn't. Several years ago I resided my house with 4x8 Masonite panels. Hardi was new on the market and no one, including the insurance companies knew anything about it.

time to redo the outside in the near future and I was considering ripping off the old cellulose insulation panels in favor of foam boards to seal leaks and improve insulation. Sounds like 'Fanfold' might be a better, easier, cheaper, and more eco-friendly way to go.
          I recently discovered that we have Masonite siding and not Hardiplank which
          is what the inspector thought we had. I learned this when my hand slipped
          on the rotten exterior window sill I was poking and it poked a hole right through
          the Masonite. The Masonite was mush. I then learned there was a recall on
          Masonite siding which expired soon after we bought our house. Great!

Anyway, many people have no problem with their Masonite because the joints
          have stayed dry and no water got in underneath. If this is your case, then the
          fanfold might be the way to go, but before you do, just check all over your
          house for any Masonite that might be damp and mushy. You don't want to
          keep it trapped under 2 layers.

Paul

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I plan to pull the Masonite and then put the Fanfold over the black sheathing. With a little care I should be able to all but eliminate any leaks in the insulation before adding the Hardi panels.

Last time it was better to strip all the lap siding off the entire house at once. This time I will work one face at a time.
            Last edited by Pappy; 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Mildoc
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Copperas Cove TX
              • BT

Asbestos is only a danger if it is disturbed, and the fibers get into the air and are inhaled. Otherwise it is no real threat.

Cover it as you plan, and wear appropriate mask while you do it.
              We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Pappy
                I plan to pull the Masonite and then put the Fanfold over the black sheathing. With a little care I should be able to all but eliminate any leaks in the insulation before adding the Hardi panels.
                Wouldn't a tyvek house wrap achieve the same result for less money?

Comment

Working...