• Show
Clear All
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

These Little Things Really Work

Some time ago when Lee Valley was offering one of their free shipping deals I addedd a package of nozzle caps to my cart. I wasn't sure if they were a gimmick or not but being Lee Valley I just assumed they would work. Well work they did. Sometime around the end of lasts year I had a honey do that required I only use a partial tube of caulk. I capped the tube with one of the nozzle caps and put it away. Today I needed a little caulk for another honey do job and grabbed that tube of caulk. I really thought that the caulk in the nozzle at least would be hard but no, it was as soft and ready to use as the day I opened the tube up.

I know that it's not a real big deal that these little do dads actually worked but it's kind of nice to every now and then to come across a product that actually does what they claim it will do. It doesn't hurt either that it didn't break the bank to buy them in the first place. They probably are available locally for some but I've never seen them but then I've never looked for them either.
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the report. I've been meaning to get some on my next LV order, but I always forget. Glad to hear that the little rubbers work.

Maybe I ought to get a set and throw in their low angle block plane or a shoulder plane. I never like having a box shipped to me with only one item...
    Erik

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Thanks. It's nice to hear that they work. I've been curious about them, but have continued to use golf tees, drywall screws, duct tape, etc. to plug the end of a tube of caulk. Success rate for these methods appears to be about 50%, probably depending on amount of time between uses.
      Bill

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I have not tried this but I understand that wire nuts work well.

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Some time ago someone on this site reported using a wax toilet ring (seal) for the purpose of sealing caulk tubes. I tried it and it works like a charm. Just wipe the end clean and then plunge the end into the ring. When you're ready to reuse, just a little pressure pushes the wax out. Wipe it off and you're ready to go. And the toilet seals are readily available at Lowes or HD for less than a $1 and can be used for dozens if not hundreds of times. Wish I could remember who to credit for this but my memory ain't too good any more.
          Last edited by phrog; 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM.
          Richard

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I've used wire nuts, they work about as well as golf tees or duct tape - just so-so from my experience.

I like the wax ring idea. I keep a wax ring on my workbench for lubricating screws to be driven into hardwood. For about $1, they last forever.
            Bill

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

I use the finger of whatever nitrile gloves I was wearing when I used the caulk. Seems to work ok if I make sure to get the air out of the glove.

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• jdon
                Established Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                • BT3100

I suppose LV calling them "socks" is more genteel than something else they remind me of- which come in foil packets

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

LOL @ Jdon.. beat me to it :-)

I too + the glove, whatever pair I was wearing thats not too dirty, gets recycled for that purpose and the once one time use silicone becomes reusable
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by jdon
                    I suppose LV calling them "socks" is more genteel than something else they remind me of- which come in foil packets
                    Chocolate??

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...