X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Asphalt shingle fasteners

Building a storage shed and was wondering what fasteners you suggest using for the shingles. I know roofing nails are used traditionally but that would it so the nails would come through the osb roof and show through the inside. Are there any alternatives that won't punch through the osb? I live in southern California so I don't really have to worry about hurricanes or tornados. Would those large 1" staples shot through pneumatic staple guns work? My neighbor has one I can borrow.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Jussi you can use cap nails, red or green heads and they come in various lengths from 3/4" to 1 1/2" IIRC. Why are you concerned with penetrations through the underside? Unless you tape the seams with peel and seal the roof will leak alot more at the intersections of the ply than from around the nails. Just remember to get an adequate length the penetrate through the shingle and embed adequately through the osb/ply.

EDIT: Jussi, I dont recall if this is general building code or not, but I believe that the nail must extend by a 1/4" into the interior... HTH
    Last edited by chopnhack; 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM. Reason: codes
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I was afraid someone might injure themselves. It's only about 6.5 feet at it's highest. Wouldn't really affect me since I'm nowhere near that tall but I keep getting the image of someone poking themselves on the head.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Only when you need to crawl through the attic 8-* which luckily you won't have to ;P If its not exceptionally windy in your neck of the woods and you don't get inspectors poking there heads around I guess you could do what you want, just be cautious and use some roofing adhesive for the shingles if you use the cap nails that are short...

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

Could you put some foam insulation in between the joists? This would really take up headroom, but, would give something that the nails could penetrate once through the osb & cover them.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sure Jussi, you can get the less expensive 1/2" insulation foam board and still have room in between for storage, but being that the height is that low, I think you would only have very limited areas to store something from the rafters, maybe in the corners and back, it wouldn't be very welcoming to walk into a pipe clamp hanging down, right ;P

Comment

• newbie2wood
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • NJ, USA.

If you are concerned about the safety of protruding nails, you can always trim or clip the ends after the inspection.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Sure Jussi, you can get the less expensive 1/2" insulation foam board and still have room in between for storage, but being that the height is that low, I think you would only have very limited areas to store something from the rafters, maybe in the corners and back, it wouldn't be very welcoming to walk into a pipe clamp hanging down, right ;P
                Oh I should have mentioned this isn't for storing woodworking tools. It's actually storage to get stuff out of the garage so I can get more room for woodworking equipment in there. Also I hadn't really planned on hanging anything on the rafters so the insulation may be a good idea. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Very cool then :-) More room in the shop is always a good thing!

Comment

Working...