• Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Sewer cleanout cap size question.

Since google only turns up one empty clue on this I thought I'd ask here in case someone knows the answer.

I have roots in my sewer line. Not a problem. Ream them out. The problem is the cleanout cap opening measures 2.75 inches. I had to cut out the old brass cap due to age (man was it stuck). This seems to be a non standard size. I have been lead to believe that a 2.5 inch brass cap is what fits this hole. $%^&* ancient plumbing in this house is driving me nuts. Anyone have a clue you can give me?
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Yes, unfortunately I have the exact same deal. I spent YEARS looking for a new brass cap, or ANY cap, to no avail.
    What I ended up doing was putting a pvc end cap piece (like an upside down bowl?) over the hole, ran a bead of caulk where the end cap meets the pipe, and duct taped the whole deal around the pipe a few times.
    I' m not winning the ingenuity award, and certainly not the pretty award, but it works.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
      Anyone have a clue you can give me?
      In addition to the odd size issue, the problem I found is that the threads on the cast iron pipe were so worn and corroded that the correct cap would not thread in.

I found a rubber "plug" at a plumbing supply store. They are available in various sizes and consist of a rubber disk between two metal plates with a bolt in the middle. The bolt is tighted to draw the plates together, which expands the diameter of the rubber disk, causing it to seal.

Remember that sewer lines have essentially no pressure, so you just need to keep the sewer gas contained.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by woodturner
        Threads on the cast iron pipe were so worn and corroded that the correct cap would not thread in.

I found a rubber "plug" at a plumbing supply store.
        The threads on this one are in perfect shape. I have considered the rubber plug but what size will fit? I might have a place in town that can custom turn the part but what I'm not sure is can they cut the thread on the odd size part. (standard plumbing thread as far as I can tell)

Jim

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

sewer cleanout cap size

The standard waste disposal line for residential lines to the street sewer line is 4".

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by eezlock
            The standard waste disposal line for residential lines to the street sewer line is 4".
            When did "standard" mean anything back in the 30's or 40's when things like this odd size cap of mine was put in. Remember oakum and lead were used up until the 50's and 60's and probably even the 70's as a standard method with cast pipes. I have seen videos on Youtube about installing that stuff.
            Last edited by sparkeyjames; 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
              When did "standard" mean anything back in the 30's or 40's
              It's not even a "standard" now. Typical residential sewer lines in new construction range from 2.5" to 6". Similar to electric service, the minimum size is determined by the number of fixtures that will feed into it.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Is the 2.75" ID or OD? If it is ID, a 3" cap that Woodturner mentions is sized to fit inside a 3" piece of PVC, and I know the ID is smaller than 2.75". The rubber may expand enough to seal the pipe. How big is the ID? If it is close to 3" a 3" rubber fernco fitting will probably work, then you put on a 3" PVC cleanout and cap.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Redford MI.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Woot! My father found a plumbing place that carries a plastic part that fits that hole. 2.75 inches measured at the outside of the threads. It has a 2 inch screw in cap on top of it. A lot of the houses in the area where my father found this were built back in the 30's and 40's so the plumbing supply place stocks it. Apparently this is a common problem in that area. I cleared the roots and now everything is good.

Jim

Comment

Working...