Lime not the fruit. For sewer plumbing leak.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Lime not the fruit. For sewer plumbing leak.

So I have had a plumbing leak (sewer side) in my bathroom plumbing. Since I have a crawl space it stinks to high heaven. What I have learned is that lime is the thing to deodorize this mess. The problem is no hardware store sells simple powdered lime. It all has this polymerized process or this additive for lawns thereby jacking a 30lb bag up to $15. This is a readily available chemical that is produced in the millions of tons. Where the heck can I get just simple powdered lime in a bag (30 or 40 lbs) for less than $10 or even $5.

Jim
  • Seedy
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2007

Jim- you might try a masonry supply or brickyard.also, you might try asking for slik lime. I am not sure, it has been several years since i bought any.

-craig

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Try a garden center (maybe even big box stores)- lime is used to "sweeten" (raise the pH) of acidic soil; sold by the bag- cheap.
      Lime is an established treatment to reduce odors in old fashioned outhouses (pit toilets).

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

lime

You can buy lime at Home Depot or Lowe's in the garden dept. It is not too expensive if I remember correctly....last I bought was a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Is there an agricultural supply store (like a feed and seed store) near you? Ask for a few bags of barn lime.

Keeps cows from slipping.
          Brian

Comment

Working...