electrical Q. do you need a circuit per bedroom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Originally posted by toolguy1000
    i would determine what i needed or wanted in each room and then make sure that the code doesn't require more. i have a 90 YO home and , when i got it, the 3 BR home had 9 circuits. we're up to 30 and i think that's about it. in today's world, more service is better than less.
    That is twice what I had! I had 4 circuits plus a circuit for the AC that had the large 60 cartridge fuses in a pull out type insert. My family room had 1 receptacle, my living room none, with the exception of a receptacle in a doorway between the too rooms. The kitchen had 2 receptacles. I ran a lot of wire in my house. I think only two of the old circuits were loop and tube. I am not sure of the age of my house, but when I was remodeling before I moved in, I found a plaster patch under the front window with a 1902 newspaper stuck in it. I figure maybe 1880's.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Skaning
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2010

Slight overkill is probably wise here. As a given separate the light circuit from the wall outlet. That way if you overload and pop a breaker you at least have light. You are required to have switched lighting of some sort in a bedroom. May be overhead, may be switched outlet but something. If you have the room for the breakers separating the room outlet is a good idea. Costs you a bit more in wire and breakers but it will isolate activities in each room. I would even think in terms of 20 amp circuits on the wall vs 15. The days when all there was in the bedroom was an occasional vacuum, floor light and a clock radio are long gone. You have a kid in there, computers are on line, TV's, DVDS, stereo, possibly a microwave and an apartment fridge. Single 15 amp won't deal with it well. Put an outlet right by the entrance door. Makes plugging in the vacuum sooo much easier in each room

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Just as a follow up, the wiring is progressing. It's a LOT of work when you're trying to not cut holes in the walls, but it just can't be avoided.

I ended up wiring the bedrooms seperately. Also, the lighting circuits are all separate from the outlet circuits. I still need to wire the kitchen, which I'm planning 3 circuits (fridge, dishwasher/disposal/one outlet, Range hood microwave/range/one outlet). Then it's a room that was an addition to the house, and finally the outside outlets, the furnace and AC, and the basement/ attic.

I'm ready to be done on this project. I've burned through nearly (3) 250' rolls of 14/2 (I'll need a 4th, I'm positive), (1) 250' roll of 14/3 for the 4 way switches for the living room, dining room, and the 3 way switch for the kitchen. And I'll be using (1) 250' roll of 12/2 for the kitchen circuits.

Comment

Working...