• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Driveway sealer

I'm finally an adult. I want to seal my driveway this summer. My dad used to
    do it every few years when I was growing up.

I digress. I don't think this driveway has ever been sealed. The drive is
    15yo. When we moved in 4 years ago, there was a lot of loose gravels on
    it. Last year, I swept it up and threw out as much of it as I could. It's not
    the smoothest surface but there aren't any big cracks or divots.

My questions: Any reason not to do this? I realize I'm not going to get a
    super smooth surface with my existing drive, but it will look much nicer.

Also, most instructions say to put 2 coats. How do you do this? Do you
    start to recoat as soon as you finish? Can you walk on it so soon? Or do I
    wait the 2 days and then coat again? Drive will be out of service for 4 days??

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Bought my current house 8 years ago, haven't sealed the driveway yet, still looks fine and doesn't have any cracks or voids.

The main cause of damage to asphalt is fuel spills. Gas will eat right through it. Keep your cars in good working order and don't over salt it in the winter and the life of the asphalt will be in the decades.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• sailor55330
      Established Member
      • Jan 2010

I acquired my first asphalt drive 4 years ago when I built my home. In MN, they seem to use asphalt for 2 reasons. 1--it's cheaper than concrete, 2--the dark surface collects heat and will help melt snow & ice even when it's below freezing. With that said, I hate it. It's soft, can be gouged, and does require maintenance.

I've sealed mine myself twice in 4 years. I used the cheap stuff, and I used the expensive stuff. Both times I got 1 year out of it before it cracked and faded. This year, I went with a professional spray finish and had it done. My neighbor and I did it at the same time and got a 15% discount. That meant I paid about $80 more to have some one do it with a better quality product. Hands down after 1 winter, it looks better than it did right after I applied the homeowner stuff.

For my time & effort, save your mess & frustration. Wait a couple of weeks/months,save the $ and have it done professionally. It will last longer, look better, and taking of the tape at the end of the drive 2 days later is much easier than cleaning up sealer.

Comment

• Shep
        • Nov 2008
        • Columbus, OH
        • Hitachi C10FL

I've sealed my driveway twice in the last 5 years. The first time I used the cheep stuff, which wan't too bad considering the driveway was never sealed since it was poured. The second time I used a mid-range product that has held up very well. You will need to get a broom/squegee aplicator that screws to a pole. You can use the broom to work it into places and the squegee side with help to pull the sealer where it needs to be. As you pour it out, overlap what you have already sealed. It is a lot easier to run the squegee and pull the extra where it needs to go opposed to try to push the sealer into areas you missed. Like painting, use long strokes to make a more even look. I apply mine from left to right, then right to left, and so on, the full length of the driveway.

Last year my neibor had a professional crew sealing hers and they said I did an amazing job. Keep in mind your first time might not bee too great looking, but it will do the job. My asphalt was almost white/grey it was faded so much, the first coat seemed a little thin. (think painting a wall) 2 years later after the second coat it looks like a brand new asphalt highway.
        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

Another vote for paying for someone to do it. Going rate in the Chicago suburb I live in is $60, but there's a small company we use that does a two car driveway with asphalt before the sidewalk sealing plus dethatching and aeration on a quarter acre for $160.

If the driveway has never been sealed they generally charge a smaller premium; since it will soak up the tar instead of creating a film. Most will include crack filling with grit and will stake off the driveway after finished.

$160 for ten hours of labor is about as cheap as you can get for landscaping and assuming you find a company that doesn't screw it up you'll end up with a better looking and protected driveway and save yourself a day in the sun and likely equipment rentals.

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

Just to add, my driveway is fairly short, suburban style neighborhood. I used 10 gallons, which cost me $30-35 and 1 hour of my time. The going rate for the pros is $80-120 for similar jobs.
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow! Firstly I didn't expect the price of those things to be so cheap! Maybe
              it's more now with all this turmoil in the oil areas. Secondly, I didn't realize
              having a pro do it would be that cheap, too! I'm going to start calling around
              for pricing when it gets warmer.

Thanks,
              Paul

Comment

Working...