• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Questions about stone veneer on a fireplace

I plan on using a stone veneer to refinish my fireplace with since removing the fireplace paint and exposing the brick wont look good but I have a couple of questions.

I'm not sure how I should be wrapping the fireplace, specifically around A and how would I handle the overhang B. C will be covered by an wooden mantle.
    Also how do I handle the corners (D)? Will there just be a lip or is the stone veneer only supposed to go to the edge of the firebox?
    Attached Files
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

I would install it just as you would with Tile. Use mastic or thinset and use a diamond blade to cut to fit the areas you mention - including the overhang.
    When you hang drywall, you do the ceiling first. Do the mantle underneath first and then cut the stone to meet up with it when you get that far. You might want to mention how thick the stone veneer is.

Conwaygolfer
    PS: I would also do the ends first, before the front, in order to have the front cover the end cuts.
    PSS: Will you apply grout or mortor between the stones?

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
      I would install it just as you would with Tile. Use mastic or thinset and use a diamond blade to cut to fit the areas you mention - including the overhang.
      When you hang drywall, you do the ceiling first. Do the mantle underneath first and then cut the stone to meet up with it when you get that far. You might want to mention how thick the stone veneer is.

Conwaygolfer
      PS: I would also do the ends first, before the front, in order to have the front cover the end cuts.
      PSS: Will you apply grout or mortor between the stones?
      I haven't decided on the type of veneer quite yet, some of the stuff I'm looking at doesn't require any grout. The stone I will eventually pick will not be thick, more like ledger stone.

So are you saying that I also need the stone to be hung upside down to cover the bottom (B)?

And does it need to wrap around the edge of the firebox slightly (using corner pieces)?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
        I would use thinset and avoid mastic in the heat zone. I have had tile set with mastic close to the firebox on a fireplace fall off as the mastic softened. It looked like at some point it might burn or at least do some noxious out-gassing.

The pieces on the underside may need support while the thinset sets. Make sure what you install is rated for next to the fire.

Bill
        on the left coast

Comment

• conwaygolfer
          Established Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Conway, SC.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by ivwshane
          I haven't decided on the type of veneer quite yet, some of the stuff I'm looking at doesn't require any grout. The stone I will eventually pick will not be thick, more like ledger stone.

So are you saying that I also need the stone to be hung upside down to cover the bottom (B)?

And does it need to wrap around the edge of the firebox slightly (using corner pieces)?
          I don't know about the firebox - I was thinking about a hearth near the floor. If it has one, you would want to cover the ends (sides) first so the front stone covers the ends. Same applies for the mantle.

I also agree with Mr. Bill as far as thinset goes. Being a cement product - the heat would not matter much.

And yes, the mantle stone will be applied upside down so the finished side is seen. If you get stone that requires grout, there is cement colored caulk which would be easy to apply - but again, watch for the heat from the firebox.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• mclear6
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Northern NJ

I actually went with my mason/tile guy today to look at cultured stone veneer. They sell two types cultured stone, flats and corners. You order by the "crate" 8 linear feet of corners come in "corner box", and 90 sq ft of stone come in a regular crate. They do sell smaller crates for flats but the cost is higher.

We are doing roughly 100 sq foot of stone with 45 linear feet of corners due to the recessed flat screen area above the mantle. The contractor rate we got for the stone is roughly $1000. Going rate for install by a mason is anywhere from $9-$12/sq foot.

We actually decided to go with real stone veneer which is going to cost about $2000 for the job, however, the going rate for labor is about $5 more/sq ft. due to dealing with the material.

For the exterior of the house (400 sq feet) to cover the poured concrete plus the stairs and around the front door, we are going with cultured stone by Owens-Corning which is supposedly the best around.

The toughest part is picking out stone/culture stone that looks like the natural rocks in the area. We really like one stone, but then found out what is coming out of the quarry is not the same colors that we really like.

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

My fireplace is as big as the one in the picture are you saying it would cost $1000 just for the stone?

Comment

• mclear6
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Northern NJ

Real stone veneer is about $13.00+ sq foot for flat pieces, $20.00+ or so for cut corner pieces.

Cultured stone (fake stone) is about $6.00 sq foot for flat and $15.00 or so for corner pieces.

These are the contractor rates that we are getting.

calculate how much sq ft you need and how much linear feet of corners that you need.

the $1000 is for a much larger fireplace that is going all the way up to the ceiling of a vaulted ceiling.

Comment

Working...