• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mycatisretarded
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • newton, nc, USA.

Getting a new heat pump

I am in need of a new heat pump and air handler for my house. When I get quotes what are some of the important things to ask so that I don't get big $urprise$. thanks
    Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

I found lots of information on this forum:

They can be a harsh bunch... so, if you choose to post, put on your asbestos underwear.

However, there are lots of HVAC guys there, and lots of good information.

I think it mostly breaks down into a few key points:
    (1) if a guy doesn't do a "manual J", and just sizes your new equipment based on your old equipment, you should be wary.
    (2) installer/dealer reputation and service record matter much more than reliance on any specific brand (e.g. Trane, Carrier, Bryant, etc).

We purchased a "multi-stage" AC and furnace, as well as the "variable speed" blower motor, and I can tell you that it is sure nice. Our old unit had two modes: off, and "hurricane" - the new one, most of the time you can't even tell it's on.

Our monthly bill went down considerably. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

DaveS has some good info.

I spent a little more than I should have a couple years ago when I had my condenser and air handler replaced. I went with a higher efficiency system with a variable speed blower. It wasn't cheap, but It sure is nice. I like being able to use the really thick filters or the 1" ones too.
      Erik

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

For ACs and heat pumps, they normally talk in terms of SEER which is the seasonal efficiency rating. Higher is better (more efficient). Things that help make it more efficient include variable speed blowers and larger compressors. I had my old 2 ton furnace/AC replaced last year with a 95% efficient gas furnace and a much higher SEER AC last year and the compressor is larger than the 3.5 ton heat pump for the upstairs that sits next to it. The new unit also came with a nice programable thermostat that takes into consideration the humidity when deciding what speed to run the blower. My bills are down.

I got quotes from 3 places that others in the office had used with positive results. I cared more about the recommendation than I did the brand of equipment they were installing.

Jim

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I am not an ac guy but from my previous experience you should probably err on the bigger side with a heat pump. In the South's hot Summers they really need to work hard to handle the heat. My previous home was right at minimum and worked constantly on 100 degree plus days. If you have natural gas available choose gas packs over heat strips and make sure you can control them manually on your thermostat. The gas is way more efficient and heat pumps can take a while to warm a house if you can't leave the "emergency heat" or extra heating on.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

The two-stage units are a good idea. They'll use less power when the weather is more moderate, which will save you money. Air flow has a surprising impact on what I call "apparent temperature", which is what you feel rather than what the thermometer says. In winter time, minimizing air movement makes you feel warmer. In summer time, increasing air movement makes you feel cooler.

We have radiant heat in the floors and it's usually quite comfortable here when the indoor temperature is in the high 60s because there's no gale to create a wind chill effect.

Comment

Working...