• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Plumbing noises?

In the last few days, the tap in our laundry room (in the basement) has started making strange noises. The best way I can describe it is a gurgling (sp?) along with hissing noise. Thinking that there were air in the pipes, tried to flush the system (running all taps and appliances at the same time) but it has made it even worst!!! At this point I am not even sure what to look for ( I have looked for water leak but have not seen any). The house is a typical two level single home (plus the basement) and about 32 years old.

Any idea what this could be and what should I check for? Any and all suggestions is appreciated.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I'm assuming that this is to a deep sink and not the washer. Hot or cold? If hot is the water heater making a similar noise when you open that tap? Gurgling and hissing sure sounds like air, question is, where is it coming from and why only one tap?

Last edited by charliex; 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM. Reason: Not fireing on all cylinders today

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

I presume the sound occurs only when the tap is open. Maybe there's something, such as a washer or seal from a shutoff valve "upstream", that broke loose and is trapped in the line near the tap, causing noise from turbulence when water is flowing.

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks for the quick replies. It is appreciated!

Just to clarify, the tap is for the laundry sink (hot and cold faucets). The noise is coming when the tap is closed (no water running)
        but as soon as I open either of the valves ever slightly, so water does not come out, the gurgling noise stop and I only hear the hissing sound . There is no shut-off valve for either cold or hot water going to this tap (I guess it was not a requirement back then). There is a drain whole in the sink (obviously) and a bigger one on the floor but the noise is definitely coming from the tap.
        Last edited by Turaj; 02-26-2011, 07:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
        Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

Turaj,

Do the hot and cold lines feeding the laundry tub also feed the washer(via their own shut-offs of course)?
          If so, could their be a problem in that area? Just wonder.

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

Possible your anti-hammer chambers have become water logged. Shut your water off at the main valve and then open all the faucets in your house for a while while your plumbing drains.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Haunted taps?

How loud is the noise Turaj? Can you hear it through the house or only when you're close to the taps? How close is the laundry sink to the main shut off?
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Are you positive that the noise is coming from the faucet? One other possible cause could be a partially clogged drain line that is about to become a fully blocked drain line.

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Very much appreciated!

Originally posted by big tim
                  Do the hot and cold lines feeding the laundry tub also feed the washer(via their own shut-offs of course)?
                  Yes they are but I don't think that is the problem as I have opened and closed them with no difference

Originally posted by Daryl
                  Possible your anti-hammer chambers have become water logged. Shut your water off at the main valve and then open all the faucets in your house for a while while your plumbing drains.
                  I will give that a try. I do get that banging noise (hammer) once in a while

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                  How loud is the noise Turaj? Can you hear it through the house or only when you're close to the taps? How close is the laundry sink to the main shut off?
                  The laundry room is the opposite corner of the basement and I would say about 50 to 60 feet of plumbing. If there is no other noise (like TV or washing machine) I can hear it on the first floor. I hear the hissing noise only in the basement!

I also found out that if I open the cold tap very very little, I get hot water trickling down !!!! Is it possible that the problem is with the faucet itself?? I believe this is a faucet with trap seal primer.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by sweensdv
                    Are you positive that the noise is coming from the faucet? One other possible cause could be a partially clogged drain line that is about to become a fully blocked drain line.
                    I definitely think this it is coming from the faucet. When I completely block the spout with my hand, the noise stops!!
                    Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• All Thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Penn Hills, PA
                      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by Turaj
                      I definitely think this it is coming from the faucet. When I completely block the spout with my hand, the noise stops!!
                      If blocking the faucet with your hand stops the noise, and if no water is coming out of the faucet, then the only possible explanation is that your faucet is splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, and expelling them as gasses. This causes a noise, with no perceptible water.

On a more serious note: How about placing a balloon over the faucet's spigot, as if you're going to fill it with water. Don't turn the faucet on. Come back an hour later and see if the balloon has anything in it (water, air, maybe hydrogen).

Comment

• Woodshark
                        Established Member
                        • May 2006
                        • Atlanta

Could it be that the noise is your faucet sucking in air? It would be real strange, but with all the crazy plumbing in the world, not out of the realm of possibilities. Water running in a nearby pipe might create a Bernoulli's effect in one of the source pipes. That along with a weak gasket in the faucet could create a back flow condition and now your sucking in air.

Easy to test. Just tape a plastic bag over the end of the faucet, make it air tight and see what happens.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Turaj
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by Woodshark
                          Could it be that the noise is your faucet sucking in air? ... That along with a weak gasket in the faucet could create a back flow condition and now your sucking in air.
                          Well, that could have been the reason.

Today I had some time so managed to open the faucet, took out cartridges and changed washers (one was completely worn out), gaskets (both were worn out) and O-rings (did not look too bad but changed them anyway) on both of cartridges. Put the whole thing together and everything is back to normal (nice and quiet ). Total costs $3.02 (taxes include) plus my time (I consider it education ).

Thanks for all the suggestions, now back to the shop!!
                          Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• toolguy1000
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • westchester cnty, ny

congrats on the fix. don't you just love it when the repair is something simple and inexpensive.
                            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...