• Show
Clear All
  • moc
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • st. louis
    • bt3100 (Now out of box!)

75 year old gas pipes

I am finishing the basement of my 75 year old house. Part of the renovation involves relocating the gas clothes dryer.

I could add piping to the current gas pipes to create an inelegant maze of pipes to the new dryer location or I could dismantle the current pipes and redirect to the right spot.

The pipe appears to be in good shape (e.g. not rusted or abused).

I am comfortable working with gas piping (assembling) but I don't know what to expect trying to unscrew 75 year old pipes. If it just takes some strength, I can handle that (it's the internet, you can't see me, let's pretend that's true) but my concern is that if something goes wrong (stripping threads, bending pipes, etc.) then I'm in trouble.

Obviously, I have to connect a new pipe to the old pipe's thread once (if) I get it apart.

Does anyone have experience with pipes this old? I'm generally willing to take reasonable risks, but I just don't know enough to calculate my risk here. Any ideas how likely I am to run into trouble? Other advice?

Thanks
    Michael
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I do not think gas clothes dryers existed 75 years ago. Your house may be 75 years old but I doubt pipe to the gas dryer is. If the pipe is in good shape, not rusted, etc - it can probably be removed without big trouble. Different story is that gas pipe is the one part I would recommend calling the pro for. Testing new connections for leaks with water is easy, with gas it is much harder. And leaking gas pipe is not something I want to live with.
    Alex V

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

i am not a plumber, but i've fitted more than myfair share of high pressure steam and gas lines. here are a few things i do routinely when working with threaded pipe.

1) always have a breaker bar of some kind handy. it could be something as simple as a length of pipe that wil fit over the handle of a wrench, but leverage is your friend when dismantling pipe.

2) try to diassemble and resist cutting. if you cut a pipe and then can't get it out of a fitting, you have a potentially significant problem.

3) always hold back on the stationary portion of the joint. i'll put a larger wrench on the stationary portion of the joint and a smaller wrench n the live portion of the joint ensuring that the stationary portion will not move, bend, flex, crack, break, etc.

4) is this natural gas or propane? be sure to get the appropriate thread sealant. teflon tape will hold naturalk gas in a pinch, but the plumbers i know don't recommend it and in my municipality, it's not code. not sure about propane.

5) always test charged line connections with soapy water or a leak detection solution specifically designed for such. dishwashing liquid, 2-4oz in 16oz of water in a spray bottle works well. brushes can also be used. never test with a lit match.

6) my pesonnal preference is to undo the prior crappy installations that predate my modifications back to a header or other connection point. is this a must? no. but problems might be lying in wait in someone else's work, so "cut back" to a good, simple starting point and work from there. if there is a leak, you'll have a better idea of where to look.

lastly, remember that if you are working hard, you're doing it wrong. the really good pros i've had experience with aren't working like uninformed DIYers. so if it seems like there has to be a better way to do something, there probably is. and it will usually be a better way to do it.

good luck. HTH.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

I am not a plumber but have done lots of plumbing. I would replace the old pipe. 75 yo pipe may look fine but it can rust from the inside from moisture and contaminates in the gas. Be sure to use black iron and not galvanized. Your gas company should be happy to test for leaks and offer technical help.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Rand
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Good advice from Toolguy.

When I've done gas fittings I've used RectorSeal in the yellow tube. I didn't blow myself or anything else up so it must have worked.
          Rand
          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• moc
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006
            • st. louis
            • bt3100 (Now out of box!)

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

I'll get some muscle help and breaker bars then start at the end of the line and work my way back if things go well.

Originally posted by vaking
            I do not think gas clothes dryers existed 75 years ago. Your house may be 75 years old but I doubt pipe to the gas dryer is.
            That is so strikingly obvious as I read it that I don't know why it never crossed my mind. I suppose I'm just used to everything in this house being "original" so I didn't even consider otherwise.

Michael

Comment

Working...