Flies in the house, and now I know why?!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Flies in the house, and now I know why?!!

For the past few weeks, we saw a lot of fruit-flies in and around the kitchen. We don't use the AirConditioner all the time, keeping windows open instead, so we were thinking that must be problem. Not that we had any explanation for why only now...

This morning LOML is upset that somebody must have broken some vinegar bottle or such in the refridgerator, because she could see liquid seeping along it, outside. I checked and did not think it was vinegar (and nothing inside seemed to cause the leak).

In a sudden burst of genius, I decided to move the 'fridge out - with a lot of effort. And whaddya know? The water connector for water/ice-tray is a 6' long narrow plastic tube, and it had a miniscule leak on it ! The area behind was all soggy and muddy with dustballs. I immediately tried to tape the leak, but decided to run to HD and got a replacement rubber tube. Replacement took all of 10 minutes, but the cleanup was longer. I still think we got off easy, seeing that the pipe could have burst fully and we could have had a flood indoors!

2 years ago a maintenance guy had said I should replace the pipe with a copper one, and he'd charge me $200 for that. I'd rather live with do-it-myself for the $8 for material .

And the flies are already disappearing - thankfully!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Assuming you are talking about the supply from the wall to the fridge, why not replace it with copper yourself? That is all I have ever used and never had a leak.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

We had some fruit flies once (on a continuous basis for several weeks) and then discovered that they were coming from the soil of a potted plant that a 'friend' had given us.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Pappy
        Assuming you are talking about the supply from the wall to the fridge, why not replace it with copper yourself? That is all I have ever used and never had a leak.
        Yes, that is the one, and I did consider copper, but have to think it thru :
        (a) The copper at HD was just a long tubing; I'd have to do the threading to put on the nuts
        (b) My 'fridge needs to be pulled out almost 2 feet before I can get in there to access the fixings. Not sure how a stiff copper pipe would behave there.

Originally posted by leehljp
        We had some fruit flies once (on a continuous basis for several weeks) and then discovered that they were coming from the soil of a potted plant that a 'friend' had given us.
        Oh - I better keep an eye on that new cactus plant she's got on the counter lately !
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
          For the past few weeks, we saw a lot of fruit-flies in and around the kitchen. We don't use the AirConditioner all the time, keeping windows open instead, so we were thinking that must be problem.

We don't always use the A/C either, but don't you have screens? The copper tubing can be a simple compression nut connection, and if you leave a small coil, you can manipulate the fridge. If you're careful, the copper bends easily.

Comment

Working...