• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

A Hoist in the Attic Saves the Back!

Last week, I posted a thread about the possibility of using a winch (and 12V at that) in the attic. With some input from others, I realized that I needed a 120V "hoist". I bought this hoist from HF. It was their smallest 120V.

I hesitated between the 220 lb / 440 lb and the 800lb. Most of the time I would go with the largest. Upon seeing both versions in the store, I debated for about 30 minutes on which to get. Finally, I decided the weight and size of the 800 was WAY overkill for the attic and most of what I needed. I also thought that I would probably move it to my little shop later, and the lighter weighted one would be easier to move back and forth.

I installed the 220/440 in the attic over the pull down ladder. I made a simple platform and harness for it. I want to say that that is absolutely one of the most convenient and handy things that I have ever added to this house or any house.

(I can't find my digital camera and it is somewhere in all of my unpackings from Japan. When I find the camera, I will take a picture and post it.)

But in use, I have to go up into the attic and lower the platform, go down and put a 50 - 65 pound box on the platform, go back up and press the "up" button. When it is attic floor level, I just move the box or container to the floor. This morning, I moved 6 boxes that were full of books and old heavy items of my mom's. And then two trunks full of stuff that weighed 60+ pounds each. After doing that, my back just SMILED!

I will definitely recommend for those that are approaching senior citizen status or have a bad back to look into getting a hoist for moving heavy things into and out of the attic. AS for moving this hoist to the shop - No Way. It has found a permanent home where it is! I am Happy; My Back is Happy, and Mama is Happy!.

PICTS are 4 posts below.
    Last edited by leehljp; 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I don't need it now, nor is my crawl-space an 'attic' of any sort, but I'm interested in seeing pictures of how you have installed and used it. I guess you need to have a 'hook' on each of the object you move/lift, right?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
      I don't need it now, nor is my crawl-space an 'attic' of any sort, but I'm interested in seeing pictures of how you have installed and used it. I guess you need to have a 'hook' on each of the object you move/lift, right?
      The platform consists of a piece of 3/4 in plywood 16 inches wide and 24 inches long, framed on the bottom with 3/4 by 4 in wide pine. One the sides near the ends, I screwed arms 2 1/2 inch wide 3/4 ply going vertical. This forms kind of a basket and fits within the attic door frame with about 1 1/2 inch to spare on the sides.

At the top of the arms, I have some S hooks bolted on - on the inside. At first I had them on the outside of the arm but they had a tendency to "catch" on occasion when entering the door frame. After moving the S hooks to the inside of the arms, I have not had any problems. For a harness, I used two HF straps on the hooks and then looped over the hook of the Hoist.

I am going to look for the camera again! I do need to post some picts.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• unknown poster
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

I've always said that if I can't carry it into the attic, it doesn't belong on top of the joists. My house is newer and not designed to carry much load in the attic, maybe older houses have stronger ceilings. I guess you'll find out what your max load is when the drywall cracks.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by unknown poster
          I've always said that if I can't carry it into the attic, it doesn't belong on top of the joists. My house is newer and not designed to carry much load in the attic, maybe older houses have stronger ceilings. I guess you'll find out what your max load is when the drywall cracks.
          (2 PICTURES BELOW.)

This attic has more room in it than most Japanese houses that I had been in. I think I mentioned it before, but I was told that this house was meant to be able to have a second floor attic room. Look at the 8 inch wide pine 3/4 boards used for the roof! Strong! Not like your house that buckles under drywall. Did I mention that the walls in several rooms are the old plaster (concrete hard) with heavy steel mesh as the support on old 2X4s 16 inch on centers.

The pict with the wires in it - old TV cable. I have got to remove it someday.

The support pipe is 1 1/4 inside diameter steel water pipe and it runs across 4 beams, and clamped to each one.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by leehljp; 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM. Reason: Correction on boards width (8 inches)
          Hank Lee

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Must be nice having a framed attic. All we've got are trusses with little space to store anything.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• os1kne
              • Jan 2003
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT3100

Very nice. I considered something similar (I was also thinking of using a winch, but I'm glad to have learned that a hoist is more appropriate.)
              Bill

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

so as the hoist pulls the load up into the attic, it also sort of slides up the steps on it's way up?
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• parnelli
                  • Aug 2004
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by BobSch
                  Must be nice having a framed attic. All we've got are trusses with little space to store anything.
                  The fact that it's Mississippi and there isn't two feet of fiberglass up there either helps!

Currently 8 degrees outside with a -14 wind chill....

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    so as the hoist pulls the load up into the attic, it also sort of slides up the steps on it's way up?
                    Yes, it does that for about the first two feet, but I guide it with gloves on to make sure it does not catch on the steps. After the two feet, it clears the stairs and come straight up. So far, I have lifted about 10 boxes total.

At first, I had the hooks on the outside of the arms and they were a little bothersome in going through the attic opening for the first two containers. Then I moved the hooks to the inside of the arms and it hasn't been a problem.

I DO watch it close and take it slow as it starts to lift and also when it enters the attic opening. Still, from the floor to attic level is less than 60 seconds with the precautions.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 01-21-2011, 03:14 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• gordons
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Nice job Lee. I have toyed with this idea for about 3 years now and even went as far as purchasing the 800 lb hoist from HF way back then since they had it on a good special and I was gung-ho.

My plan was (actually, still is) to cut and frame a section that would give me an opening of approximately 30"x30" in a less used part of the attic. Main reason is because I find the width up the staircase is often too narrow to pass up the objects that I need to store. Of course, the temptation to store more junk is there too and I have to be careful not to overload the platform or storage area.

I should add that my attic space is in the garage and the floor to ceiling height is 12' - so if ever there was a need for a system like this to help an aging old man with an aching back - this is it. I am definitely going to install this spring before the summer heat sets in.

My biggest concern was always how to secure the water pipe to the beams as you have done. What clamps did you use to secure the pipe to ensure that the combined weight of the hoist, platform and goods don't pull the pipe away from the beams and lock it securely? Thanks.
                      Gordon
                      I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gordons
                        Nice job Lee. I have toyed with this idea for about 3 years now and even went as far as purchasing the 800 lb hoist from HF way back then since they had it on a good special and I was gung-ho.

My biggest concern was always how to secure the water pipe to the beams as you have done. What clamps did you use to secure the pipe to ensure that the combined weight of the hoist, platform and goods don't pull the pipe away from the beams and lock it securely? Thanks.
                        I used 1/4 inch by 2 1/2 in lag screws and the double holed pipe clamps. (I pre-drilled the holes with a 3/16 in bit. Our hardware store has both double holed clamps (holes on each side), and single holed clamps, which are more or less for just holding the pipe to a beam. But the single holed ones are not good for support other than the pipe itself.

The HF clamp system on the top side had 1 1/2 in clearance. So I purchased a 6 ft section of 1 1/4 inside diameter ( 1 1/2 OS) pipe and it fit perfect in the HF support clamps.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• annunaki
                          • Jan 2008
                          • White Springs, Florida
                          • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

So with the 400 lb lift capacity and a long cable for the control you could ride up with the load !
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by annunaki
                            So with the 400 lb lift capacity and a long cable for the control you could ride up with the load !
                            If the control line were long enough! (It is only 5 ft long.)
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• bullethead1964
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2006
                              • texas
                              • Craftsman (Emerson era)

Lee that is a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing!
                              I said I want to touch the earth
                              I want to break it in my hands
                              I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

Working...