• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Concrete Floor Dust

I may me moving my office down to the basement shortly and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this concrete problem. I've done some research and would like to avoid any undue cost as this move will be short term. My main concern is the computers and related office stuff.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The simplest solution is to paint the floor. I cut corners and opted for the lazy choice : the Acrylic Sealer. I bought it at HomeDepot, and I think it cost around $60 for two coats. Downside is as expected : 'easy on' also means 'easy off'. It peeled off in spots within a year; I repainted in spots (yeah, lazy, as I said).

A longer-lasting solution is to use the Epoxy Shield paint. This takes more prep, longer time, but stays longer (so I've heard). I estimated it would be slightly more expensive too.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks for the input, that is one of the options that keeps coming up in my research. The only down side is if at some point the area in question is tiled over the prep is more difficult.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Cured concrete isn't particularly dusty. It may have some ability to "hold" dust depending on how smooth it's been finished. It can be vacuumed or damped mopped. You could use throw rugs, just for convenience. I wouldn't hesitate to use that flooring for your needs.

Like you said, you may not want to treat the floor with some kind of finish, as you may be installing tile in the future.

Comment

Working...