This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winger

Paint with primer

Over 20 years ago, I painted several houses and 2 storage sheds with Dupont Lucite with the mixed in primer. It worked very well. The sheds still have the original paint on them and they were painted with the Dupont Lucite directly on bare plywood.

I have just built another shed and would love to find the Lucite. Not sure they still make it for exterior wood.

Anyone know where I can find this paint?
    Thanks,
    Winger
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Dupont went out of the paint business about two or three decades ago. There's not much information on the Dupont "timeline" page, but this should explain somewhat:
    http://www2.dupont.com/Heritage/en_U...1_indepth.html

Personally, I liked Dupont Lucite paint. We painted our living room with Lucite Interior w/Teflon and it had great coverage. Purchase from "Nichols" (a Walmart-like chain, here in the North East) back in the late 70's IIRC. We made the mistake of not checking the lot number ID on the cans, and we ended up with a shade difference.

I called a number provided by the store, and was absolutely shocked when a couple of weeks later a Dupont factory rep showed up. He not only replaced the paint, but also walked around the house and gave me some tips for painting the exterior (we had just purchased the house a few months before). He also gave us some coupons for future paint discounts.

Too bad they are no longer in the paint business.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Armini
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

The buyer was Pittsburg Paints, they still sell under the Lucite brand name. Menard's carries it apparently.

Comment

• AvidDIyer2010

I have seen this paint at Menards, as my grandpa had to use this paint to paint his barn. It is one of the few quality paints left out there! How did you get ahold of the rep in order for the tips and coupons?

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Well back in the late 70's and early 80's when this happened, the paint was clearly labelled as "Dupont Lucite". We had purchased about four gallons to paint the living and dining room. I did the dining room first and was about halfway through the living room when I ran out of paint and returned to the local discount store (Nichole's)... sort of like a Walmart, of the time. I purchased another couple of gallons and finished the living room. Afterwards, it was clearly noticable that the color and changed shades... ever so slightly, but enough to notice.

I complained to the store and they gave me a contact number for Dupont and soon after the factory rep showed up.

Before I answered this subject (my first post to this thread), I did a Google search for "Dupont Lucite" and "Dupont Lucite Paint" and there were a few hits. One did mention the current (or at least the last few years) "Lucite" paint and that it was available at Menard's. Some of the posts appeared to be negative, and I got the impression that it was no-longer a quality product. May I suggest that you do a Google search and make a determination for yourself?

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Lucite is available at Menards and is their promotion brand. Compared to some of the other mid priced brands, the coverage of Lucite is not comparable. We use to use Lucite all the time for our apartment buildings inside walls, but pretty well quit using it 6-8 years ago. Newer brands spread and cover better, even if they cost more.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...