• Show
Clear All
  • crybdr
    Established Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Lake Mills, WI
    • Ryobi BT3100

Motion Detector Light Problems

Okay....there were some burglaries close to me....the perp broke in while people were home sleeping, rooted through the house, stole electronics, found car keys and drove away with their car. So, I decided to install a motion detector floodlight system in the back yard.

It worked great the night I installed it - it was cold that night. I could walk the perimeter, the lights would come on, and after the 5 minute setting, they would turn off. Perfect...

Two days later we got snow - when I returned home after the snow, I found the lights 'blinking'....blink, blink...1 second pause....blink, blink, etc. I turned off the light via the indoor lightswitch and vowed to fix it the next day.

Because it worked fine without snow on the ground - I figured that the daylight photocell was picking up the reflected light off of the snow and shutting the light off prematurely. Based upon the manufacturers recommended troubleshooting method - I covered up the photocell with black tape - and adjusted the motion 'sensitivity' to the minimum. I still get the same ..blink, blink.. problem.

After the failed black tape test, I removed both bulbs (which are within the watt rating of the fixture and not CFL) and turned the switch on. The fixture 'blinks' in the same fashion without bulbs - I can hear the internal switch flipping on and off.

Is this fixture just a bad apple or am I missing something? Any help or experience would be appreciated.

coryb
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

Originally posted by crybdr
    Okay....there were some burglaries close to me....the perp broke in while people were home sleeping, rooted through the house, stole electronics, found car keys and drove away with their car. So, I decided to install a motion detector floodlight system in the back yard.

It worked great the night I installed it - it was cold that night. I could walk the perimeter, the lights would come on, and after the 5 minute setting, they would turn off. Perfect...

Two days later we got snow - when I returned home after the snow, I found the lights 'blinking'....blink, blink...1 second pause....blink, blink, etc. I turned off the light via the indoor lightswitch and vowed to fix it the next day.

Because it worked fine without snow on the ground - I figured that the daylight photocell was picking up the reflected light off of the snow and shutting the light off prematurely. Based upon the manufacturers recommended troubleshooting method - I covered up the photocell with black tape - and adjusted the motion 'sensitivity' to the minimum. I still get the same ..blink, blink.. problem.

After the failed black tape test, I removed both bulbs (which are within the watt rating of the fixture and not CFL) and turned the switch on. The fixture 'blinks' in the same fashion without bulbs - I can hear the internal switch flipping on and off.

Is this fixture just a bad apple or am I missing something? Any help or experience would be appreciated.

coryb

I doubt it's helpful- but that sounds like what mine does when the switch is in the 'test' postition

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

If the fixture is from Menard's take it back and get a different brand. I'm a handyman and this summer I had 75% failure rate with their motion lights.

I now have my customers go to HD for theit lights.

YMMV.
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• crybdr
        Established Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Lake Mills, WI
        • Ryobi BT3100

It is from Menards....and...

I'll be returning it. Thanks for the insight and advice.

coryb

Comment

• kramer katt
          Established Member
          • Aug 2004
          • SO CAL, USA
          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
          If the fixture is from Menard's take it back and get a different brand. I'm a handyman and this summer I had 75% failure rate with their motion lights.

I now have my customers go to HD for theit lights.

YMMV.
          and what brand at HD do you recommend?
          are you talking hard wire 110v or the low volt solar ones?
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
            • Aug 2007
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by kramer katt
            and what brand at HD do you recommend?
            are you talking hard wire 110v or the low volt solar ones?
            Any brand not carried by Menards.

I've only installed hard-wired lights.
            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I really like Menards for some stuff, but I have often been disappointed with the quality on a lot of their items.

That being said, is the blinking pattern some sort of troubleshooting code? Probably not worth even checking into given other advice, but just a thought.
              Joe

Comment

Working...