• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

The leak could have been worse or more expensive

I went into the shop yesterday morning and before I even turned the light on, I heard the drip,drip,drip. I looked up and saw a wet spot in the corner about 3'x3'. WTH. This was pretty much right below the hot water heater.

I hotfooted upstairs and everything look OK there. Went back down, got my ladder and started pulling the sheetrock & insulation out to find the leak. Before I found it, I could tell it was on the hot water line since the soaked insulation was warm. I pulled the insulation off the pipe up to the subfloor and it appeared to be leaking from above. OH Crap.

The line went to a faucet in the powder room right above so I called a plumber. They checked it out and indicated that they would have to cut thru the sheetrock/wallpaper in the powder room. The wife was having a fit. I then remembererd that the other side of the wall was the hot water closet. They were able to find the leak from in there and that saved the wall paper.

Here is the weird part..the hot water lines were installed with a small low voltage pump pushing the water to each faucet. Each faucet had a small line going back to the main line. This allowed hot water within seconds of turning on the faucet anywhere in the house. For whateve reason, the small return line had a tee connector and about 12" of copper tubing that was capped off. The small piece had a small and I mean small pinhole that had a small stream of water shooting out. It was right by 2 small ripples in the tubing that looked like a defect in the tubing. A $150 later, I am leak free

Just need to get to BORG for some 5/8" sheetrock, screws, joint compound, and insulation and I should be back in business.

Just glad it leaked in a corner and not on top of any of my tools.

Ken
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Glad it was fairly painless.
    Your installation isn't all that weird, we specify it in a lot of our houses. It's normally called a recirculating system. It adds a little capacity to the hot water, but mainly its for the convenience of not waiting on the hot water.
    Erik

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

if memory serves that 12" capped section is to catch trapped air and prevent banging pipes.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
        if memory serves that 12" capped section is to catch trapped air and prevent banging pipes.
        This is what it sounds like to me too! Basically it's a trap! A GOOD feature, except that it leaked.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Even though it wasn't too bad, it's still a PITA. Good thing it wasn't a lot worse. I agree about the trap.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

I'd post the star war's Admiral Akbar picture but I see that everyone has already figured out that it's a trap.

Comment

Working...